The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am waiting to pick up a recently born lab puppy and was wondering if anybody on here has ever tried to train a dog to find sheds? I have been reading up and watching videos, but was hoping somebody on here with experience might me able to add a few pointers and tricks...Also where I could purchase some fresh sheds, or where I can get some shed scented liquid I have seen in videos....Thanks.

·
Banned
212 Posts
I googled shed antler training kits, i think patience is the most important, last year i trained my lab mix puppy to hunt them and he would do great with it until he got bored, that was my mistake. fast forward to taking him to the woods, i would take a few of his bones to garauntee a find for him and he was more interested in finding and chasing chipmunks. Now that he has had alot more experience in the woods i am hopeful that this year he will be more interested in finding the bone than chasing chipmunks. Oh and he does find alot of old bones, just not antlers, he is very good at finding old cow bones. Good luck and take the time to get your puppy used to the environment that it will be hunting in.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would say dont rush it, take as much time as your pup needs, and keep it fun. What i have seen as i have started doing the same is, the scent. I have been using sheds that i have found, and from previous deer i have taken, she can find some sets, but others it's more of a struggle. Also, try to minimize the amount of people scent on the bone... The pup will get used to tracking your scent and not the scent of the deer/anter. I do believe the outdoor show this year is slated to have some presentations on shed hunting with dogs, and there you can probably everything you'll need to start(maybe more expensive than the internet though)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts