The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A thread in another forum related to shed antlers got me thinking...
What if somebody shoots a 5pt (3x2) - or even a 4x3 in the 4 pt zones, but between the times when it's hit and recovered, the "legal" antler drops/is knocked off and can't be found. It was technically legal when you shot it, but now it's not. The only thing I can think of is tag it and call PGC and tell them what happened?

There were guys on there that said when the grabbed their buck to drag it, an antler popped off. Another had one antler pop off when it dropped. Yet another guy had both antlers pop off between when he shot and retrieved the deer. He was able to retrieve both antlers and tie them to the deer. This is a feasible situation.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
It happens, I know a couple guys that were put in the same situation except the deer was still legal. I would tag it as it was when you shot and call the PGC just to cover yourself

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I know of a guy that shot at a buck and actually shot off one of the antlers. Without the antler he shot off, the deer is an illegal deer. He was lucky enough to find the antler however. I would be interested to see how this would be handeled. I think if you called in and explained what happened the GC would prob belive you.

·
Registered
695 Posts
171farm said:
I know of a guy that shot at a buck and actually shot off one of the antlers. Without the antler he shot off, the deer is an illegal deer. He was lucky enough to find the antler however. I would be interested to see how this would be handeled. I think if you called in and explained what happened the GC would prob belive you.
really close to the vitals with that antler shot huh?

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Reckon that depends. Me, and most of my crew I hunt with, prefer neck shots, a couple prefer head. We all cut our own Deer and just hate to see the waste a fragmented bullet causes.

As for antlers dropping. Last year my buddy shot an 8 and one side popped off when it hit the ground. This year, another friend shot an 8, and the side he grabbed to drag popped off in his hand. Certainly not uncommon, and can quite feasibly happen. So yes, in some cases, you can be tracking what is a wounded, but illegal Deer. Gosh would that be terrible to have to explain to "The Man". Hopefully, if you're trailing blood, you'll come across the one side. Not a guarantee though.

·
Registered
509 Posts
If the game commission sees the pedicile they can tell that it just fell off.................it isnt an issue and a ridiculous "what if"

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
As for the antler shot, you'd be amazed at the number of big bucks that end up with bullet holes in the ears. Guys are focusing on the antlers and that's where they shoot. In law enforcement Officer-Involved Shootings, one of the determining factors is shots to a suspect's hands or around the beltline. I took some training from the guy who did a major OIS study in California, reviewed every OIS for like seven years. He said any hand or belt shots indicated a righteous shooting as the officer was focusing on a weapon and shooting at what they were concentrating on.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
sticker said:
171farm said:
I would consider the brain a prety vital organ. I have yet to see a deer with a hole through the brain box running around.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Few years back one of our group in muzzleloader season shot a small but legal buck. When recovered it was antlerless. Backtracking the snow found both antlers knocked off when it ran through some thick greenbrier. Sheer luck to find them.

It would be obvious to a WCO who saw it right then, but if it was in the truckbed, in the snow and 25 degrees, I don't know about a WCO believing you if he/she checked it at the very end of the day. Looked pretty crusty at that point. But maybe someone trained could tell how long they've been shed.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
It wont be an issue, Any WCO can tell.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
WCO said:
It wont be an issue, Any WCO can tell.
And Also, Folks who understand the structure of antlers and how they drop and what happens when they drop off the bucks skull...

But, most do not understand that part and would never really understand how a WCO could tell!

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Nor will I give up any secrets

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
The 8-point I shot last year dropped one between the first shot and finishing shot.

When I started dragging him down the hill, I found the one side that fell off. It must have fallen off as he bedded down beside a tree, and slid down the crusted snow about 15 feet!!

The other antler, which I was using to drag, came off about 35 yards later.

I had two antlers in my back pack as I was dragging it out!!

·
Registered
475 Posts
One of our guys shot a buck in a snow storm that had a "Y" on the one side (pre AR), he wasn't sure if the other side was there or not when he shot. When he got to the deer, no antlers. The deer had gone about 50 yds. after the shot, so he looked for an hour with on luck. Stopped at the local WCO's house on the way back to camp. Pulled the WCO from a hot meal and a warm house into a snow storm to show him the deer. The WCO was not real happy but did give him a paper that said he had checked the deer and it was OK for him to have it.

·
Super Moderator
12,812 Posts
Several years ago I shot a 7 point buck in WV with a 270. About a 10 yard shot from a tree stand. It ran with two does, stopped and stood in the brush at about 70 yards from my location. I knew I had a good hit and was trying to determine if I should shoot again and was there an opening in the brush to a vital area.

Before I could make a discussion the two does run back in my direction and the buck followed. I could see he only had one antler and held up on a second shot thinking is it possible this is a different deer?? However the buck had never left my sight.

All three deer were going to pass me at about 20 yards on a dead run then suddenly the buck ran directly into a tree stump, expired and you guessed it the other antler fell off.

I found both antlers and took the deer to the checking station with the antlers with no problems.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have been hunting for a very long time and even since the antler restriction this has never crossed my mind. How do you guys come up with these questions? I thought, I would be reading about collecting dropped tines. nope!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
burbhunter said:
If the game commission sees the pedicile they can tell that it just fell off.................it isnt an issue and a ridiculous "what if"
No, it's not ridiculous - the PGC can't tell by a pedicel if it was a spike or 5 pt antler that dropped off.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
dont,

It's actually very common. My brother shot a 16 point buck but when he got to it, it was only an 8 point.

The landowner found the other half the following spring.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts