The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was asked in another thread, but thought it would be better in it's own.
mrm52 said:
I have trouble keeping a knife sharp or getting it sharp what do you guys use?
I use this sharpening system,

It took a couple tries to find the right angles, but once I did I can use it to sharpen every knife I have. From big heavy Bowie type knives to really fine filet knives.
Only drawback is when sharpening the bigger knives, the clamp sometimes loosens up.

·
Super Moderator
24,058 Posts
So where would a person get this at?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Cabelas, gander mountain, amazon. It's called a Gatco sharpening system. They work wonders, especially if you are putting a new edge on a knife that someone screwed up sharpening. Or redoing the edge that was used on too many of the pull through carbide sharpeners.

·
Super Moderator
26,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yeah, it's a Gatco

I bought mine in the Ramstein BX.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Here's my cheapskate method: Get some 400, 600, 1000 and 1500 grit sandpaper. Fix it to the top of an old mousepad and gently drag your blade towards the spine and down. You don't need more pressure than the weight of your knife. After you're done sharpening at 1000 or 1500 grit, use a double-sided leather strop loaded with coarse and fine stropping compound (I use Bark River's black and green compounds) to get it hair popping sharp.

·
Super Moderator
24,058 Posts
My BIL uses sandpaper to sharpen his and I must say it gets pretty darn sharp.

·
Super Moderator
23,752 Posts
Scandi grind and a leather strop = scary sharp

·
Registered
550 Posts
Throw all those gadgets away and just get yourself a 1X30 Belt Sander with diff. Belts including a leather belt. That is what most good knife makers use.Just practice with some cheap knifes,Practise with the correct angle you will be putting a really nice edge on your blade like a convex edge.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I still use a sharpening stone - rough one side, fine the other.

Worked/still works like a charm after 25 years of use.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I've been doing it the same way for forty years. Learned by watching a professional knife sharpener. Set the angle by touch and feel.
Been doing hunting, fishing and household knives.

If it's more than arkansas stones, I don't know how to use it. Missed out on mechanical tools.

·
Administrator
39,022 Posts
BCozhunter said:
This was asked in another thread, but thought it would be better in it's own.
mrm52 said:
I have trouble keeping a knife sharp or getting it sharp what do you guys use?
I use this sharpening system,

It took a couple tries to find the right angles, but once I did I can use it to sharpen every knife I have. From big heavy Bowie type knives to really fine filet knives.
Only drawback is when sharpening the bigger knives, the clamp sometimes loosens up.
Use the same thing!

·
Registered
19,611 Posts
I use a 9 micron Whestone stone system by DMT.
Has 4 different 6" stones that are not difficult to use.
During the off season or some cold winter night I take all my knives, even some of my wife's kitchen knives and give them a tune-up.
If you have quality cutlery this system works well, but if you have a knife from Walmart or the bait shop it may be easier to just buy another one that will last a season.

·
Super Moderator
23,752 Posts
My wife won't let me sharpen her kitchen knifes anymore, she said they are too sharp.

Reactions: surveyor

·
Registered
24,753 Posts
Never ever sharpen a knife for a woman. I'd sooner store mine in salt water then ket my wife get her grubby little hands on my knives.

Those kitchen knives double for pry bars screw drivers hammers scrapers you name it..

·
Registered
90 Posts
i sharpen convex on a 1x30 belt sander, i try to do a full convex grind and take it on the sander to a 1200 grit. Then follow on a leather strop and stop until it pops hairs.

Iv sharpened everything from $400 kitchen knives to $30 hunting knives and this work the best. Im a professional chef and use knives daily and do this with my work knives. this is the best way i can get a knife sharp, hold a edge and easiest to maintain.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I still use my stones. I'm a big case knife fan that's pretty much all I buy. Once I get my angles set I just touch them up once in a while. Quality knives are easy to keep shaving sharp.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts