The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a new knife that is made with S30V. This is my first knife that is made with this steel (I always had 420hc). Well I didn't know there was much of a difference when sharpening the two, and now I'm wondering if I will be able to sharpen this knife myself in the future. I was just wondering if I need anything special to sharpen this blade, use just the same materials I use to sharpen my other blade, or if I am better just sending it off to get sharpened. Any feedback would be really appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
133 Posts
It will be a little tougher to sharpen but not dramatically. S30v will definitely be harder to reprofile so don’t let it get really dull, touch it up regularly.

·
Registered
525 Posts
For steels like this I find there is no better way than using diamond hones. Normal wet stones, and such will take forever, and also as was said it is best not to let the knife get super dull. Touching the knife up prior to it needing atotal resharpening, and profiling is your best bet. Again diamond hones work great for these harder to sharpen metals.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts