The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am looking for a machine to sharpen my mower blades.
Precise angle, low speed, set angle.
Do you have any experience with this type sharpener? Any Suggestions?

The fella at the mower shop has one, but it's back in the far corner and I can't get a good looksee.
I want to purchase my own.
I like to keep the blades sharp. Would pay for itself in a few seasons with 3 sharp blades @ $5 a pop. Plus I could do my families blades to save them some moola.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
I've just been using a Dewalt grinder for years....I like to sharpen about twice during the mowign season. Just half acre though....

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Oregon makes a bunch of different models. The angle is set by adjusting the grinding wheel up or down not the angle of the bed. If I remember correctly when I cut grass back in college we would sharpen blades every saturday using a magnatec sharpener (not sure if that is the exact name but its close) Sharpening is quick and easy, 3 or 4 passes per side and then back cut the bottom and you are done.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
A "machine". I'd be lost with a machine. I've been using a "B" file (one with no legal momma and papa) to sharpen lawn mower blades for some 30 years. And they still sell them for a few dollars. Somebody else is still using them. Or at least buying them.

Better check to see if someone is still selling sharpening stones, for knives, for home use and outdoors. Wonder if everyone is going to machines.

Sure have to keep up with the meaning, do it yourself.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
when you sharpen mower blades all you have to do is follow the original angle of the blade. make equal amount of passes on each side of the blade. use a round shaft screwdriver to balance the blade. a medium stone will remove any burrs.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
mus42tang said:
A "machine". I'd be lost with a machine. I've been using a "B" file (one with no legal momma and papa) to sharpen lawn mower blades for some 30 years. And they still sell them for a few dollars. Somebody else is still using them. Or at least buying them.

Better check to see if someone is still selling sharpening stones, for knives, for home use and outdoors. Wonder if everyone is going to machines.

Sure have to keep up with the meaning, do it yourself.
That's what we used an 8 mill 'B' file on mower blades, sicklebars, sickles and scythes.

The sickle bar was a 36' walk bahind and we would pull the knives out and clamp it in the vise and dress them up.

I used to balance mower blades by hanging them on a nail removing some from the heavy end w/ the same file.

Only takes a minute of so and burns calories instead of kilowatts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts