The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
I use the Edge Pro Apex with excellent results. A little pricey, but worth it. I also see that there are ‘cheap’ knockoffs on Amazon. Not sure of the quality of the stones or the unit.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Norton tri-stone, finish up with ceramic stick and flat leather strop.

Reactions: Steeltrap

·
Registered
277 Posts
Norton water stones 220-1000, 4,000-8,000; finish with leather strop with 12,000 grit on one side and smooth on the other. Also, a Worksharp KO edition.

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
Spyderco sharpening system finishing it off on 2 sided strop. :turkey_track:

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
i have a couple sharpening kits. one is a Smith's two stone that comes with a can of sharpening oil and the other is a three stone set starting with medium, fine and extra fine. my grandpap taught me how to sharpen knives when i was a kid so i just do it by feel. also use a leather strap to finish them.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I have the Lansky system. It's Ok. The best way I've found is to get a stone with medium on one side and fine on the other. Hold the knife (or edge) at a steady angle and stroke, blade in, to sharpen both sides. Finish with a good paste on a leather strop.

I don't strop edge first.....it cuts into the strop. Strop edge last and you can shave with it.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Work sharp Ken Onion

·
Super Moderator
2,475 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The above is a fancier version of this Lansky Turnbox kit. I also have this Turnbox kit. IMHO it's still a better result with a stone and a strop to finish the job.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts