The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is not much better than having a snack of pretzels , some sharp cheese and beverage of choice while at camp or watching football. There was a really good sharp cheese that I had gotten at the old store in Germania but have not been up in some time. Was told that it comes from Lancaster Co. Any good sources near Harrisburg ? Worth a drive, too , of course . Thanks....Finn

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
I never checked it out but was Told Bell's Meat Market in Hummelstown has some good cheeses they sell...Not sure on what all the kind they have...might be worth a check?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Was that a dry crumbly sharp cheese or a softer cheese?

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John, the drier crumbly type and a wheel of it . Kept it under a lid at the Wharton Store , too. Thanks for the tips , fellas .Gotta check out the leads !

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If you find it, post it, I have been trying to find that stuff for years. When I was in high school I cut meat in a grocery stort and we sold that kind of cheese, we would put a half wheel in the meat case. I had to slice it by hand with a cheese knife and when people only wanted a small amount it was hard to cut because it crumbled. I got to eat the crumbs, I made lots of crumbs.
The stuff is great fried in a skillet with crackers and beer.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
FrankDegamma said:
Van Wert cheese shop..a lil amish shop outside Thompsontown in Juniata county has real sharp chedder...wheels of it. yum.
you got some directions?

kecks store in cumberland county has some good sharp cheese off a wheel. I normally grab a lb or two every time I go past.

·
Premium Member
24,064 Posts
Hey Finn remember the cheese that Dennis & prior owners the Millers used to carry at the Hillsgrove Store. i think its whut your talking about. Dave now just has chunks wrapped in cello last time I bot some...still pretty good though.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I take Rt 333 north off of 322 in Thompsontown. Go few miles and make a left on SR 2006, you will see sign for Van Wert. Go few miles and store on the left. The extra extra sharp crumby cheese is in wheel on counter under a cover.

Van Wert Cheese Shop
Rr 2
Mifflintown, PA 17059
717-463-3864

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
thanks I am going up past there next friday might make a pit stop. any idea on hours?

·
Registered
445 Posts
I know this is a bit off point but saw this post and wanted to share. While coming back from visiting the inlaws in New Hampshire we stopped at a store in Vermont. I got a 2# block of Cabot's "Old School". Man was that great. It was the dry crumbly type. I ate the entire block in about 10 days. It was pricey, but well worth it imo.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Yea Van Wert is the place Make sure you you get some JF martin pork susage It's the best aroung and I've had allot

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Loggy, you are right . Same stuff , just thought I could find a source here closer to home.It is football season and a snack while archery hunting is great , too. Sounds like some good cheeses here in PA. We all know there are lots of good wines (no deer etc.)

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
dang, you guys are making me hungry! Finn, keep us posted if you find any, now you have my wheels turning as well!

·
Administrator
28,384 Posts
John S said:
...When I was in high school I cut meat in a grocery store and we sold that kind of cheese, we would put a half wheel in the meat case.
How much longer was it until someone invented the whole wheel?

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
on the west side of the state, the Penna Macaroni Co. is hard to beat. Mike the Cheese Man is awesome and he knows his cheese. They have a fresh colbyjack that is just outta this world...creamy, dreamy, sharp tasting but still butter smooth. I love how mike can grab a wheel of cheese, says "how much", you say "boutta pound" and thud...that knife whacks a chunk off and when it hits the scale, it's always 1.01 lbs. he's been doing cheese for a LONG time.

it's been a while since I was down there, but they had some good import and some better local cheeses. believe it or not, the cheese mongers at Giant Eagle are starting to know their stuff too, and they are getting some decent stuff in too. I had an Amish Bleu not too long ago and it was heavenly.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts