The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah I knw this is the waterfowl forum but thought maybe someone could help? Thinking about a mako shark fishing trip this year. Anyone know of a good Captain/Boat? Maybe Indian River area?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Do you have any of your own tackle? We kayak baits out on our own from beaches and drop them at about 250-300 yards off shore, then sit back, drink some beverages and enjoy life. Its an awesome fight when they take off with the bait. We usually do pretty well, maybe 15-20 per weekend. If thats not your cup of tea what area or state are you looking to launch out of?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
hotdogs, marshmallows.. maybe some mallowdogs? sorry couldn't resist.. That does sound awesome doing it from the surf like that

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
Pigger said:
Yeah I knw this is the waterfowl forum but thought maybe someone could help? Thinking about a mako shark fishing trip this year. Anyone know of a good Captain/Boat? Maybe Indian River area?
I went on an overnight shark fishing trip out of Indian River a few years ago. Caught two blues and a mako. Mako was enormous. The boat was Reel-Istic. Captain then was Billy Verbanas, but he was killed by a mako dragging him overboard two weeks later. I beleive it is captained by Chris Greigg now but am not positive. Can't really say how they do now, but when it was Capt Billy, it was great.

·
Registered
202 Posts
We catch the big ones on 15-20# tuna heads that we pick up from the marina when commercial and charter boats come into the marinas. We throw smaller tackle with bait fish out also and catch some rays and skates. Duskys, thrashers, and bar sharks seem to like their wing meat about the size of a porterhouse steak.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
etowns54 said:
What kind of bait do you use?
Small dogs, cats, nagging mother-inlaw, etc.....

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PSUbuzz said:
Do you have any of your own tackle? We kayak baits out on our own from beaches and drop them at about 250-300 yards off shore, then sit back, drink some beverages and enjoy life. Its an awesome fight when they take off with the bait. We usually do pretty well, maybe 15-20 per weekend. If thats not your cup of tea what area or state are you looking to launch out of?
I do not have any tackle for big saltwater fishing. I'd like to go out of maybe the Indian River area?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I'm going to catch one by hand next month while scuba diving in the Carribean. My bait will be the slower diver behind me. Last two trips I've honestly only seen different sting rays and smaller fish though.

·
Registered
949 Posts
PSUbuzz said:
We catch the big ones on 15-20# tuna heads that we pick up from the marina when commercial and charter boats come into the marinas. We throw smaller tackle with bait fish out also and catch some rays and skates. Duskys, thrashers, and bar sharks seem to like their wing meat about the size of a porterhouse steak.
This sounds like fun! Few questions for ya though. Is there anything special you look for when dropping your baits 300 yards off the beach? Also, what kind of hook, leader, line, weight combo are guys you using?

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
A friend of mine from grad school has crewed for Razorback for years. Not sure if he's still with them or not, but I know they've done very well with sharks in the past.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts