The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year we had good success with our plantings but this year we're stepping it up a notch. Last year's groceries consisted of Red Japanese Millet, White Prosso Millet, Sorghum, Corn, and Buckwheat. The corn and sorghum did not do well for two reasons that I can come up with. #1, the millet was planted too thick and choked it out and #2 the soil was not properly conditioned. Birds taken: Teal, Wood Ducks, Mallards and Black Ducks. Also saw Pintails, Hooded Mergansers, Widgeon and Honkers. I wanna get some honkers over it this year for sure....

This year, we're doing plots of grains instead of the whole area in a mixture of seed so that the different plants do no compete for nutrients and space. We're also expanding the planting area to include the banks and surrounding flat ground. This years plantings consist of Corn/Sorghum Plots, and pure millet broadcasts. All in all the area is about 1.5-2.0 acres.

So we took two soil samples and sent to PSU for analysis and just receieved them back. One for the soil that's normally under water and one from the banks which are predominantly clay. Looks like a good workout spreading 2000lbs of lime on the 1/2 acre that needs it as well as ammendments for Soluable Potash.

We sprayed the area in Glyphosate last Friday in preparation for tilling it in the coming weeks. We also hit some of invasive Autumn Olive and wasteful Multifora Rose to rid ourselves of that in favor of planting button bush and Hazlenut trees in their place.

I'll keep posting as the progress continues, hopefully it'll be help to some that are looking for it as I spent countless hours reading and asking questions to be able to learn how to do this stuff, it sure is rewarding. Here's some pics of it last year:

Pre-Drain:

Post Drain:

Plants Germinating after tilling and planting:

More Progress:

Drying out, ready to be flooded for the season:

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's what we've had so far this year, last pics are a week old, not too shabby:

Some heartache after torrential rains:

Luckily it must have filled gradually (albeit quickly) and most of the plants survived. Still found plenty of lime and fert. under the topsoil.

The farmer planted us some corn adjacent to the project, nicest fellow I ever did meet!

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, here some updated pics as of yesterday evening....still looking good, the millet could use a drink!

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
An update as of this morning, not too bad for the lack of rain and days of 100 degree temps. The millet is quite stunted but the corn and sorghum seem to be just fine. I didn't think the farmer's corn right behind the blind was gonna make it since it went in late due to the dry weather, but it's hummin' right along too. Big hopes!

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
eyefromthesky said:
That's quite a project! Nice work!
I very much agree!

Have never had one so unique on here.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Looks good considering the hot,dry weather the past few weeks.
IIRC,your plot is in my neck of the woods.We had a good storm roll through last night/this morning.Checked the rain guage a minute ago,just shy of an inch.Hopefully your plot got a drink!!

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the kind comments guys! I sure hope we get some rain this fall 'cuz the creek that used to run by that we use to fill it is perty much dry. Have never seen it that low

Update 08/02/2010:

Yellow Nutsedge?

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update 8-23-2010. As of Saturday morning the deer have eaten every last ear of corn on every stalk. Makes me sick to my stomach. All that work to have the nicest corn around was a big mistake. With the drought conditions suffered all the surrounding corn fields didnt offer any good food. Over a 2 week period the deer seem to have found ours and picked it clean. Gotta learn the hard way right? They havent hit the sorghum yet...

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Wait til the seed heads dry and the sorghum will be the next victim... Deer are a real PITA when it comes to planting for other species. They always spoil the party... Is your creek still bone dry?

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep, I'm worried about the sorghum too. It's a special variety that grows short with large seed heads, easy pickin's for the deer I reckon. Yep, still too dry to draw water from without affecting the stream. Just gonna close the pipe earlier and hope for some rain to help moisten the basin and bring the creek back up.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Been a while since an update...this seasons take was midiocre. Found the farmers cattle got out and thats what ate all of our corn and a lot of the sorghum tops. Floods took their toll as did the early ice up. With most water frozen, it was tough to bring birds in even with a hole in the ice. We were able to take quite a few mallards and woodies though, heres a few of the pics:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts