The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Works great on my buddies driveway too. As you drive over it, it breaks and compresses and gives a much smoother surface than any stone. Every few years just spread a little more.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Plenty of both around my camp in northwestern Potter Denny. Every township road within five mils of my place was built by scraping the soil down to the underlying shale, doesn't take much scraping to reach it.

The logging roads are refreshed/improved after a sale by digging shale out of a bank and spreading it with a dozer.

On the other hand, there are plenty of stone quarries within a thirty mile radius where you can buy gravel.

IMO, gravel lasts much longer, shale breaks down/deteriorates much faster.

·
Registered
25,472 Posts
Should've said more common in my immediate area of the northern tier where camp is? There is some shale in our area, but pretty much everyone uses gravel on roads and driveways.

Never used to see much crushed limestone around there before gas operations started, now some of the twp. roads they've redone, were topped with modified limestone.

At least a half dozen former springtime "swamp holes" in the gravel roads were dug up and filled with crushed limestone in the past three or four years by gas company contractors.

And this summer limestone is everywhere on roads, driveways, etc.

They removed the "frack" pad at the well site down the road in August and all that limestone is now here, there and everywhere. It was pushed into a huge pile at one end of the pad free for the taking and the twp. boys have distributed it where needed.

Quite a bit went over the hill from camp, on the formerly mucky cemetery driveways. Many of my neighbors now have spiffy driveway entrances. Natcherly, no one thought to dump any in my camp driveway ruts.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Yes, the gas crews did quite a bit of road improvement when the wells were going in. Not so much anymore. The shale roads deteriorate quickly...

This is a named township road that leads to my camp.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Shale is hard clay. Many people thinks it compacts and makes good roads. It kind of does for awhile but than it breaks down and you have mud. It does work descent if you cover it with gravel sealing it. My local quarry has some material for 6.00 a ton that compacts well and can even be an under base for asphalt. Its a beter material to even work with machine or hand. I use shale at times on jobs but you never know what size you are going to get and can be apita.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks dgdukefan I will try that. Where is 4 seasons forestry exactly at? I'm not familiar with everything yet, just got the camp less than a year ago. Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Little plum is just off of rt. 664. He is down little plum a short distance on the right. You can't miss it, big shop and usually equipment outside.

·
Registered
25,472 Posts
Road millings are pretty good if ya can find them. We had several tri axle loads of the stuff at our club, used for driveways and range shooting lines.

Once compacted that stuff sticks together really well. Basically limestone/asphalt mix that was milled from old paved roads.

One driveway in a formerly soggy area, first got several loads of coarse rip rap as a base, then about 6 inches of millings on top. It is as solid as can be after several years.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts