The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of doing a shadow box with flies that I have tied for Christmas presents. Don't want to something complicated. Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Arrange your flies in pattern or rows which looks presentable to you and you are happy with the look & layout.
Take measurement of layout. This will give you inside dimensions of box. Now you can determine the size of the box for that layout. This layout will enable you to make box correct dimensions, thus will save you from adding or subtracting subject matter.

An ole fly reel or ole advertising or a fishing snapshot (of you or person getting gift) or ole fly tying vice along with your flies would be a good touch. You know, something related to fly fishing or fly tying or personal picture. A small creek stone painted on- Penns Creek & date, Kettle Creek & date you made box or your name & date instead of creek name.

Box I would make corners at 45 degrees. Maybe use some reclaimed wood. Maybe non-glare glass.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
Try making it with an old weathered pallet that you can dis assemble without too much effort or damage...

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Those pallets seem pretty rickety until you try to tear one apart to use for a project. Some of them are bears to pull apart!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will try the craft stores, since I have limited wood working tools. I will go from there, & pay everything out first. Thanks for the well appreciated advice

·
Premium Member
24,086 Posts
I will try the craft stores, since I have limited wood working tools. I will go from there, & pay everything out first. Thanks for the well appreciated advice

How did you make out? Any pics?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts