The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hunting at SGL310 (lower Pike Co.) today. There were about 20 deer carcasses laying in a pile off the old RR grade. The gates are locked so I suspect the game comm. is the only ones that could drive down the road and dump them. What is the purpose of this? Does anyone have any idea why they are doing this?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Probably disposing of roadkill

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
SGL310 is in wayne county
.........bob

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GUNNY said:
Probably disposing of roadkill
Why dump them in the middle of a SGL...Are they trying to feed the fox and coyotes? It really stinks....place is turning into a dump....

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
They probably dump them on the game lands because they own them and the carcasses have to be desposed of somewhere and the game lands are a better choice than in a town square somewhere.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Why not dump them somewhere that will benifit the wildlife on the game lands? I wouldn't want them to haul them to a land fill and pay for dispposal.

Fox, 'yotes, bears, crow 'possum, ect... need to eat too.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I'm sure the little roadkill pit has destroyed the entire gamelands lol.
What is your better solution? Where do you want the PGC to put the roadkills?
Meant for the OP. Complain, complain, complain.....

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Nothing new here, roadkills have been put on game lands for longer then many people here have hunted. Every once in a while, someone who didn't know about the pit or the pit was moved to a new loction, stumbles on one and has a hissy fit about it.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
one pit in wayne county on SGL the bones get dragged off every where....last year i seen over 20 deer there once and by the end of the year the deer were not where they were dumped in the hole when brought in....but now are over 100 yards from said drop off hole, great bear sign and sightings in that area as well....haven't tried yota hunting there yet
.......bob

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The PGC is not in charge of picking up and disposing road kills... Duh!!!!!

The township usually handles roadkills...On the flip side, why does the PGC not allow hunters to leave deer guts, etc. in the woods...Sounds like they want to feed yotes, which attracts them...

·
Super Moderator
29,164 Posts
On the flip side, why does the PGC not allow hunters to leave deer guts, etc. in the woods...
Uh oh, guess I better go back and get the gut pile I left on the gamelands yesterday afternoon.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Not allowed to leave deer guts in the woods?

·
Banned
4,988 Posts
This statement is in "NO WAY" bashing the WCO's for that practice but I do have a question......Why when a farmer has a (cow, horse, etc.) die, they can't bury it on their property but the deer can be thrown into a pit on public property?

again, THIS IS NOT A "BASH" ON THE PGC, just a question.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
So, now it is part of a plan to attract coyotes to state gamelands?
I hate picking on any individual, and usually only argue against the ideas that there are no deer, there are mt lions, etc.
But, dude I must say, you got some strange ways of thinking!

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
hdt said:
Why not dump them somewhere that will benifit the wildlife on the game lands? I wouldn't want them to haul them to a land fill and pay for dispposal.

Fox, 'yotes, bears, crow 'possum, ect... need to eat too.
I'm not sure how it is done in other areas of the state, but in Franklin County, PennDot has a contractor who goes around and picks up roadkilled deer and takes them to the landfill. Fulton County has no contractor and most times roadkills just lay there alongside the road until the scavengers have done their thing. If you live in a county where the PGC employees pick them up and dump them on a state game lands, you are lucky. It costs less than to dispose of them in a landfill and you aren't paying someone extra to go and pick them up to dispose of them.

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
ICAREDOYOU said:
This statement is in "NO WAY" bashing the WCO's for that practice but I do have a question......Why when a farmer has a (cow, horse, etc.) die, they can't bury it on their property but the deer can be thrown into a pit on public property?

again, THIS IS NOT A "BASH" ON THE PGC, just a question.
Not sure about where you live, but life is different here in the boonies.
One of our old timer horses died this summer and it is buried right here in the middle of our pasture. To my knowledge this is legal.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts