The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what about farming and timber harvesting on game lands.

cutting mature timber makes room for new growth and farming provides more food and cover for big and small game.

i know these practices have dropped off in my area (1 B ) but what about others ?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I believe the GC is are under the same program as DCNR, 100 years, a harvest of 1% each year. According to state biologists that allows a diverse forest and probably max value. As far as farming with the lack of staff and funding their lucky to get much done at all. I understand some groups volunteer to browse cut and plant but never enough to mack much of a difference.

·
Registered
19,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i meant like a farm co-op

local farmer plants on SGL's and leaves some unharvested for the wildlife.

·
Registered
66 Posts
47studebaker said:
I believe the GC is are under the same program as DCNR, 100 years, a harvest of 1% each year. According to state biologists that allows a diverse forest and probably max value. As far as farming with the lack of staff and funding their lucky to get much done at all. I understand some groups volunteer to browse cut and plant but never enough to mack much of a difference.
I don't buy the excuse that they can't get much browse cutting done on SGL because of limited funds and limited staff. The PGC gets tons of $$$ in the form of P-R funding...money they could use to hire contractors to cut browse...and plant trees and shrubs too.

·
Registered
19,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am pretty sure there a tons of sportsmen that know how to use a chainsaw and would be willing to help out and sign release of liability waivers.

better yet, ask the animal lovers that want to use our SGL's for free to help and see what happens there.

·
Registered
19,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oliver88 said:
the gc wants to do away with the farming cooperators on all gl in the next five years
WHY ?

isnt it good for both, the farmer and the wildlife?

·
Registered
445 Posts
theres a biologist in Harrisburg I was told that wants all share croppers off the gamelands. if farm bureau wouldn't have stepped in it would have happened this year instead of over the next five years

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
thewildfront said:
I don't buy the excuse that they can't get much browse cutting done on SGL because of limited funds and limited staff. The PGC gets tons of $$$ in the form of P-R funding...money they could use to hire contractors to cut browse...and plant trees and shrubs too.
Im curious as to how you know this to be true? Do you have a link to some actual figures?

·
Registered
19,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oliver88 said:
theres a biologist in Harrisburg I was told that wants all share croppers off the gamelands. if farm bureau wouldn't have stepped in it would have happened this year instead of over the next five years

seems like a stupid move to me.
i was at a retirement breakfast today. some fellow hunters told me the PGC stocked the fisher cats to control the turkey population.

someone from the PGC was on PCN and said something about the deer population in North central part of the state being reduced and the PH was to low to sustain new growth in the forests.

also something about making a deal with the audubon society and some "green" organization over the leaseing of property on State forest land where camps or houses are located on those 99 year leases

they want them gone ?

just what i heard, have to look into this mess.

·
Registered
25,549 Posts
Here's what I've heard, or seen on the interwebs over the years. And as most should know, if you've heard it at the feedmill/tavern/local barber shop - or seen it on the interwebs - by God it gotta be true, eh?

Game Commission stocks coyotes and pumas

Fishers were stocked to kill grouse, tree rats, turkeys, pick your favorite targeted prey species

There are no deer anywhere in PA now because - tree huggers wanted green certification; DCNR wanted all the deer dead (see above); Auto insurance companies wanted all the deer dead; Audubon wanted all the deer dead; Crop farmers wanted all the deer dead; Landscapers and little old ladies in the suburbs wanted all the deer dead.

I've heard far more'n that, reckon everyone else has too?

I think they may be phasing out "share croppers" on some SGLs, but forget why now.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
If I took guess on subjuct of share croppers, my guess is
Alot of information out on letting fields revert to old field management.
Letting them grow back up.

·
Registered
25,549 Posts
And if they insisted on still doing everything the way they did things decades ago, people would accuse them of being too far behind the times?

So, what is the answer that would suit most hunters - or even some?

·
Registered
66 Posts
quackmaster4 said:
Im curious as to how you know this to be true? Do you have a link to some actual figures?
Back in 2012, the Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act (which provides for P-R funding to the individual states) celebrated it's 75th anniversary. Here's an excerpt from an article specific to PA:

"As one of the top hunting license sales states in the nation, Pennsylvania has long been one of the leading recipients of PRA dollars. In 2011, the state received more than $13 million in federal aid under the program, while New Jersey, which has a smaller land mass and fewer hunters, received nearly $4 million.

According to Roe, P-R money has helped the Pennsylvania Game Commission buy more than 185,000 acres of State Game Lands, fund important wildlife surveys and research work, improve habitat on game lands, finance hunter education programs and played a key role in the reintroduction of bald eagles in the state. The agency is currently using P-R funds to conduct prescribed burns on public lands to create and maintain early successional habitat, which benefits a variety of wildlife including American woodcock."

Link:
http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/09/federal_aid_in_wildlife_restor.html

·
Registered
66 Posts
quackmaster4 said:
And here's another quote from a linked article providing some actual figures for PA...

"In Pennsylvania, the Pennsylvania Game Commission has had its share of Pittman-Robertson funding grow from $7.4 million in 2005 to a record $24.9 million in 2015, said federal grants coordinator Gary Camus."

In case you missed it, THAT'S $24.9 MILLION IN 2015!!!

Here's the link:
http://triblive.com/news/allegheny/10562684-74/gun-wildlife-million

1 - 20 of 35 Posts