The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to 3 different SGLs this past week all the way from here in NJ and barely see any small game.

Today from 10:30 - 2:00 I was at SGL #127 and didn't see/hear any small game (only saw 1 doe and 1 8-pointer) and gave up and headed down to Nockamixon/SGL #157 where I finally got my first Squirrel of my career

(I was there from 3:30 - 5:45 (it was getting dark when I got the squirrel and saw another buck)

So I guess my question is what time of the day is the best to see the most action for squirrel and where are some good spots in Eastern PA for this time of the year?

I would gladly scout out different areas but I can't keep this trial and error up where I'm driving 300 miles each hunting day. I'm just looking to get to an area and be confident that there's small game in the area.

This new guy appreciates the help guys thank you!

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Try and be in the woods at legal shooting time. I kill most of mine between sun-up and 11:00. As far as locations go, most folks aren't gonna be real helpful, myself included. I can tell you this; you should be able to pull off the road just anyplace there are woods and kill a squirrel. The trick is to find the better spots. I look for areas with lots of food like oak trees or hickories, and in my area the hickory trees are really putting down some nuts this year. I like a little thicker woods with some grape vines and/or ground clutter, but not enough to prevent you from seeing 40-50yds or so. Find someplace like this next to a cornfield, and you have the potential of a good hunt. When you're checking it out, look for den trees, squirrel nests in the trees, acorn or nut cuttings on logs and stumps, and of course tracks if there is snow.

I approach hunting them just like I would if I were hunting deer. I follow the orange requirements, but no extra. I like to sit in a shaded area if possible, like under a small pine. Be quiet. Be still. Movement will make them skittish, and even if they are near you, they will move away instead of coming closer. If you are using a rifle, make sure you checked to see if it is still zeroed. If you're using a shotgun, make sure you are using proper shells. Squirrels can be tough, and leftover dove loads won't always kill them at some distances. It may be overkill, but I like high brass #6s. These are just my thoughts. Good luck!

·
Registered
24,979 Posts
I do realize that...My point was you were passing some very decent hunting for all types of small game to come to Pa. And I guess they approved air rifles for squirrel & rabbit this year as well...

I used to use a shotgun for squirrel in NJ; I have some idea of what you are up against in weapon selection.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Just my $.02, but I seem to see most squirrels (when I'm hunting them) early morning, and right before dark. When the acorns are dropping heavily (October), they seem to be moving all day long, but sadly we can't hunt them until middle of the month. Later in the season (January), they don't seem to move much at all.

As far as location, they can be in just about any woodlot, as long as there's food for them. I'd suggest Evansburg state park, but you'll no doubt get grief from bow hunters and the antis who enjoy riding their horses & walking their dogs in the woods this time of the year.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Get a good squirrel dog and you will see and kill a lot more of them than just walking thru the woods. Mine had to be put down this year due to cancer but what an enjoyment it was to hunt with her. Saw way more game than just walking. Same with rabbit hunting. Get a good beagle and you will see way more rabbits.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Sorry to hear bout your dog sqrlhntr.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts