The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you hunted SGL 262 just south of Smithport? I'm talking about the game lands that covers a major portion south and east of Smithport, not the larger area to the west. If so, how is the deer hunting there? I hunted that area as a kid long before it was strip mined. Haven't been back there in years and was wondering about it. Thanks!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I posted this question in 2009 but received no answers. Still wondering about that area. Comments? I live too far from there to return to hunt there(no place to stay, etc.)I'm not trying to horn in on anyone's hunting areas.

Have any of you hunted SGL 262, Indiana County, Banks Township, just south of Smithport? The game lands covers a major portion of land west and east of Smithport. If so, how is the deer hunting there? I hunted that area as a kid long before it was strip mined. Haven't been back there in years and was wondering about it. Thanks!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hal, I've hunted in the past with no success for deer however, I've always seen plenty of sign of deer there. Just never spent the time to scout the area as much as i should have...well I guess I should say was that my scouting time was when I was actually hunting the SGL. If you travel down the road a little. The woods on the other side of the fly projects (cross the Mahoning) always produce for me. Its no big secret that deer are there in the thick laurel. I just always assumed the folks just don't want to put the waders on to cross the stream in DEC. Although, I've never hunted it on the first day. For what its worth, check out SGL 248 near the Two Lick dam is a good hunt. Only downside to it is that it's some prety serious terrain to get into the "good spots". Just from my experiences deer shot tend to run down hill towards the reservoir...which is a royal pain dragging back up to the parking lots. Although if you're into exercise you might find it rewarding..LOL If you’re looking for a late hunt let me know. I plan to be home in that area from the 30th thru the 10th.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply, Hilbilly and for the invitation for a late season hunt. Actually, I'm not planning on doing any hunting around there. It's been years since I've lived in the area just outside of Smithport (no game lands then--the game lands now comes right up to where our house once stood) and was wondering what the deer hunting situation is like now. I knew at one time about the area across the Mahoning Crick was good but never hunted it. Should be good for bear too as thick as it is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts