The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. What do you guys know about SGL 232, west of Washington, PA for pheasants ? I've heard it gets TONS of pressure, but judging by the size of it, there have to be some birds around... Worth the trip from north of Pittsburgh ? Any info would be appreciated. Shoot me a PM if you'd like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,152 Posts
There is a ton of pressure on those game lands but... i hunt it all the time and we do pretty well. After the first week the orange army thins out. I have hunted fields where we watched two dogs work at a time and we still flush birds. The key to being successful there is hunt the fringes and the really thick stuff. We have done well with Pheasants, Rabbits and pockets of squirrels in the small woodlots. I am considering taking my 13 year old nephew down on Saturday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,824 Posts
kinda a bit off topic...
but what stocking area does not get heavy pressure??
since hunters have to go to certain spots to hunt pheasants , it comes with the territory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
twistedoak said:
kinda a bit off topic...
but what stocking area does not get heavy pressure??
since hunters have to go to certain spots to hunt pheasants , it comes with the territory.
1) If you don't know of any areas you can get on stocked birds without 30 guys hunting beside you, that's your problem.
2) Not sure what you're looking to get out of posting this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,824 Posts
not looking to get anything out of it..
if you want to go pheasant hunting just go to an area that's stocked.
one place is basically as good as another.
but don't expect to have a place all to yourself ,there are no secret spots and there's a very good chances of seeing other hunters.

just go hunting and enjoy yourself
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
twistedoak said:
not looking to get anything out of it..
if you want to go pheasant hunting just go to an area that's stocked.
one place is basically as good as another.
but don't expect to have a place all to yourself ,there are no secret spots and there's a very good chances of seeing other hunters.

just go hunting and enjoy yourself
Thanks a bunch.

Now,
What do you guys know about SGL 232, west of Washington, PA for pheasants ? I've heard it gets TONS of pressure, but judging by the size of it, there have to be some birds around... Worth the trip from north of Pittsburgh ? Any info would be appreciated. Shoot me a PM if you'd like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
Tucksdad,
I hunt there for pheasants quite a bit each year. It gets a fair amount of pressure, but as you noted, there are a ton of fields so that spreads it out a bit.

There are also some reproducing birds there, in pockets. That not only adds to the overall huntable population, but also adds some interest later in the year, after the stocking trucks are put up for the winter (especially this year with the new later season in 2A).

I just wish they'd pick the darn corn. I was out there two weeks ago and had a heck of a time getting the birds out of the corn rows in a fashion that would let the kids get some shooting. Not a good situation for a pointing dog owner.

But that's minor stuff and will be addressed in due time, if it hasn't been already. It's still my favorite place in SW PA for pheasants. I'd also note that 232 is a good place to hunt turkeys and deer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,952 Posts
Try Greencove road on SGL 232 another good spot is Colby Young rd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
TucksDad,

While I don't live in the vicinity (I live in York County), why not consider going AFTER deer season, when you might actually have a chance to hunt limited numbers of birds under quality conditions, i.e., sans other hunters. I do, and yes, there will be a few left over. Or, switch to other game--squirrels and rabbits--and enjoy hunting the way it should be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
If you go to 245, 232, or 302 anytime weekday morning you may run into a few guys.... Nothing like Saturdays... Also as the season progresses you'll get less an less people.

Check out the game commissions "pheasant allocation" section it breaks down the game lands stocks and the estimated numbers put out each week... In Washington county las week the supposedly released 2100ish... As said before the birds are there you just might have to work for them a little more!!! Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Game_Hunter said:
If you go to 245, 232, or 302 anytime weekday morning you may run into a few guys.... Nothing like Saturdays... Also as the season progresses you'll get less an less people.

Check out the game commissions "pheasant allocation" section it breaks down the game lands stocks and the estimated numbers put out each week... In Washington county las week the supposedly released 2100ish... As said before the birds are there you just might have to work for them a little more!!! Good luck!
Thanks. Got a lot of good spots in my repertoire but I'm always interested in adding another !
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top