The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out today for a pheasant hunt with 2 guys from work, one guy had to leave early due to working tonight. The one that stayed we bagged our limit, but what a sight to see when the truck pulled up to stock the birds did not have a chance and some guys were shooting past 50 yards at flying birds and not watching out for others. I have read other posts on this subject and finally witnessed it, truely unbelievable. I was worried for my dogs the whole way back to the truck. The Stock truck raced out of there and I cant say that I blame them, that looks like dangerous work

·
Registered
250 Posts
I knw all about it my trk got peppered last week as we we pulling into a parkin spot. People are crazy.

·
Registered
120 Posts
That's just crazy. What is wrong with these people.
When I was leaving the gamelands near me, I met a guy pulling into the parking lot and he was complaining about being shot at. Not a real safe hunting environment.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I have seen only a few cases of hunters shooting at birds flying from the trucks but in their defense, I don't know if they knew where the birds came from as they were a couple hedge rows away. I also here comments about safety but have never heard of an injury from a shotgun while pheasant hunting. I have been around the occasional shot shower in trees over my head but that is expected when you are an area with higher density of hunters shooting at birds in the air. I don't think the shot has much danger other than for your eyes so get a pair of safety glasses and go hunt

·
Registered
502 Posts
I don't understand why they only stock gamelands when I was younger they use to stock all around I think it's a joke stocking just the gamelands no sport in the way they do it pheasants don't have a chance

·
Registered
670 Posts
raygun63 said:
I don't understand why they only stock gamelands when I was younger they use to stock all around I think it's a joke stocking just the gamelands no sport in the way they do it pheasants don't have a chance
Probably because there was more open land back in the day.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
THINBLUELINE said:
raygun63 said:
Probably because there was more open land back in the day.
And the PGC used to release over 400,000 birds at the height of its stocking progrom. They simply had more land and more birds back then.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
They used to stock Farm-Game Cooperator land here in Venango County. One of the FGC farms was open hunting to all, but was owned by the grandfather of a Game Commission (non-law enforcement) employee. An older guy, known to be quite the curmudgeon, was hunting on the farm. His dog pointed a pheasant IN THE FRONT YARD of the house. He smoked the pheasant as it flew alongside the house, and the bird dropped about 10 feet off the back porch. The landowner was understandably a little upset. The PGC law enforcement division ended up citing the hunter for a safety zone violation. The curmudgeon then started a letter-writing campaign that this was a 'buddy stock' and that he got arrested because he wasn't a 'buddy'. That was the end of private-land stocking here in Venango County.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
They stock state parks as well and from what I understand from the digest co-op's that receive day-old chicks from the PGC to raise may stock them on any land open to public hunting.

In a few places I hunt the one thing that kinda gets me is the # of birds that wind up on land closed to hunting. At Beltzville there is an area closed to hunting that has great pheasant cover. I sometimes run my dog here for daily exercise and he often finds multiple birds. Same thing for the gamelands stocked across from Tuscarora State Park. One day while hunting the gamelands there I drove over to use the bathroom at the park office and counted almost 20 cockbirds all in an area closed to anything but archery & muzzleloader. Those were just the birds I saw in the open. All I could do was shake my head & laugh. Same thing this year too. Oh well, the PGC does a good job though and the food & cover they've been planting for the birds is increasing which is great.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
You can pull in to a coop property open to hunting to stock with birds, open the crate doors, and some of those birds will fly completely off that farm before they ever land.. Hard to always keep them where you want them to be..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts