The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got out to make some smoke today and try larger loads, I felt like a little kid at Christmas couldn't calm down wasn't thinking straight. It was like my body lost connection with my brain, I'd do this wrong move that not follow through. Then after realizing this I'd get a good shot then do it all over again!(getting frustrated) So much for shooting competition.I was staying in the six circle but wanted to be in the black of the three.I thought to myself maybe it's cause of the change in load,but when you see or feel what you're doing wrong that don't fly.When I almost missed the paper(really frustrated) I stopped for a bit and relaxed. Cleared my head, settled in and shot two x's and a ten at 75 yds. I think my biggest problem was the last time I shot it was in early April and I was shooting a lot and doing very well. I got there today kind of expecting to be where I was in April By this time it got so humid I could barely hold onto the rod so I packed it in.The fact of not having shot flintlocks even for a year yet doesn't help matters but it's true that you have to have your head straight with flints and when you don't it shows...

Ya know, if this keeps up I'll need someone with me in the woods to tell me to pull the darn trigger! That is if I didn't dry ball first.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
to be a top shooter must shoot more then once or twice a year in my opinion that seperates the nonwinners from the winners and could mean weather you bring a deer home or not

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
I went to a Match before I had fired 20 shots through my muzzleloader. With the expected horrible results. Then over the winter I practiced. I mean practiced. 50 shots every weekend, during the week in the basement with a pellet rifle. Concentrated on follow through for weeks. By the following spring, I was able to place or at least make a fair showing. Consistency is one of the most important of all the things to learn. Always measure the powder the same, always pour it the same, always rap the gun sideways three times the same way, always turn the patch weave the same way. Always use the same amount of lube, always seat the ball the same. Always breath the same, If you fart between shots always fart the same. It is an incredibly important feature of competition. In my opinion, even more important than the patch and ball combination.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Best advice I ever got was to pick a spot ON the Bullseye, or whatever you are shooting at. This applies to Deer also. It really aids in the concentration end of shooting.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So many weapons,so little time.Trying to stay proficient with many different ways to kill things can be a challenge with a family and everything else going on. But everyone here already knows about this. So I shoot em when I can and when each specific season approaches I shoot that one the most. I've heard that about doing everything the same way w/ bp, so true! I get archery in the most since I can do that in the back yard. If I could do that with the flint I'd never need to clean it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts