The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Location is near water (ole canel) and heavy cover.

Seed box into ground so it does not wobble

No floor to box.
Line inside with dried grass clippings to keep trap from freezing to ground and keep bait and lure off ground

Bait and lure in place.
Trap ready for action. (note: set trap so critter goes between jaws)

Finished set

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Very nice Hern. What kind of bait are you using? Is that the best location for trapping weasels, near water in thick cover? Just asking because I'd like to catch one.

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tr, good loctions are thick cover for sure. Stone piles, log piles, overgrown, abandon farm houses, swamps, thickets, Beagle Clubs places where Mice to Rabbits hide.

This location is a weed & brush choked, section of ole canel in a remote spot, that runs for 2 miles.

As far as bait, Liver, Rabbit, Chicken, Muskrat, Deer, Mink. Even Weasel carcass is good.
The key is to use a good lure. The lure will produce scent longer than bait. I always use bait combined with lure. I use Weasel Gland Lure.

This set, along with most of my wintertime Canine sets has Deer Meat.
It's the fine stuff from the band saw, that butcher throws away. A butcher friend saves me gallons of this free bait.
It's fine, and crumbles (as shown in box) and make Canines work to get all the crumbs in dirtholes.
I just fill a small coffee can as needed...

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dtpa asks-
<span style="color: #660000"><span style="font-weight: bold">how many sets do you typically make in a given area, and how long until you expect results?</span></span>
2-4 sets per location. Results: Like any trapping, fast or wait and see. Not many Weasels around my area, so it's a crap shoot.

NL asks-
<span style="color: #660000"><span style="font-weight: bold">Do you ever catch mink in your weasel boxes?</span></span>
No.

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Hern I have always been intriged by those little critters!!!I think about trapping them all the time.. Next year I DODE IT!!! LOL I have a few Weasel boxes now. even made some I need to set some out on the farms that I trap canine on with the restraints..Can we legaly use a rat trap inside a weasel box in Pa Hern? Is it better to use the leg hold if the rat trap is still legal? I do remember one night i called in a weasel when calling!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts