The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I am pretty confused on how to set up and call in relation to the wind direction. I have read different articles saying to keep the wind in your face and some say to keep it at your back. Can someone tell me what the proper way to set up?

Thanks

·
Registered
927 Posts
In your face or good crosswind. If its not possible then go to another spot because they will associate your sent with the calls. Maksure your not calling overly loud either that can be a big problem too.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Just think about how far down wind you can smell a campfire, I belive that is probably what humans smell like to animals.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips. Should I mainly be looking into where I think the yotes are or should I be watching the downwind side?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Watch the up wind direction, they will hardly ever come from down wind. If they can circle down wind of the sound they will try but the only way they will ever show up is if they dont smell you. The only time that iv called anything in at all was with proper wind direction. If the wind is blowing your sent toward them there is 000 % chance they will even come out.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I too have read of people sitting down wind, and i think the reason they are doing that is waiting for the coyote to circle the sound. But It will be coming from the upwind side. Intresting style but not recomended for someone starting out. around pa they will circle far out of sight and I dought you would see tgem even ifthey do, good luck to you.

·
Registered
927 Posts
And always be ready to shoot as soon as you hit the call. if they are convinced there is nothing wrong with what they hear, they will be there faster than you would think possible. like 30sec alot of people miss there first one because of that.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Good sensible advice. I've been thinking about trying again and I always tended to look down wind thinking they would circle. logical that if your gonna see em they have to make the mistake.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts