The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Within a week I will have in my hands a Recurve bow.

I have next to no experience with these as I have shot compounds for the last 20 some years.

My Father used to have a Recurve and I will be purchasing the same one from an HPA member.

The bow is a recurve with a rating of 45 pounds. I'm just wondering about the arrows for said bow.

I have 4 compounds here...I shoot Beman Hunter 340's from one and Easton XX78's from the other 3.

Do I need new arrows or can I try one of the ones I have?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm 6' 4". I have a draw length of 30 3/4. But I have a 3 inch overdraw on one of the bows. The Carbon arrows are cut to 29 inches with a 75 grain head.

I shoot Easton XX78 2117 full length(33 1/4 inches) with a 125 grain head out of the other 3 bows.

The difference in arrow speed is amazing but that's not I am looking for.

I want to hunt with the recurve next near if I can get proficient enough.

The carbon arrows won't work IMO, I was just wondering if those 2117's would be a good staring point.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
You will probably slose an inch or so on you draw when changing over to the stick. It is typical.

Agree with Jim....go with 2016s with the longer draw.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Sykotik, at first I also thought a 2016, but then saw in your later post that you may have a long draw. Longer draw lengths change everything. I would get the bow first to figure out the draw length you will have and arrow length you desire. Then go to the Easton Aluminum Webpage and look at the Hunting Arrow Selection Chart. You may be surprised.

I shoot recurves listed at between 45# to 49# @ 28". However, my draw is 30" and I prefer a 32" arrow. Adding three additional pounds of draw weight for each inch over 28" gets me to between 51# and 55# of actual draw weight. My arrows are 32" long. Easton says I should shoot a 2219/2315 at minimum. Amazingly, they are correct and these arrows (spined at 85# +) give me excellent arrow flight and grouping. You must figure that the longer (over 28") arrow will flex more and 5# of spine should be added for each inch over 28". In addition, modern fast flight string has less stretch and throws more energy into the arrow upon release. Add another 10# to 12# of arrow spine for that. As a result for my 49# @ 28" I use 55#, add 20# for the longer arrow and throw on 12# for fast flight. Gets me to a required arrow spine of 87#. Hard to believe, but works for me.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. Gives me some other options.

I figure my best bet will just be to take it down to the archery shop and talk to the boys there

Thanks for the input everyone and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Congrats on the new bow. 2016s will probably work with 125gr heads but I wouldn't get rid of the 2117s. Given the nock adapter they'll be a little stiffer than XX75s but you may find 150gr or 175gr heads work well plus have the added benefit of higher FOC.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts