The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys set up tractor roads? Do you put the trap in the tire marks or do you put them in the middle?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Id go in the rut with a piece of branch about 10 feet from trap that covers hump and other rut, this will forse them into your rut.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Setting in the rut with snow/rain/freeze/thaw can get you in trouble. Not to mention you stand a much greater chance of having your traps run over.
I just lost two at the very end of a deadend farm road, one of my best red fox locations. Two traps destroyed in one pass.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Got 2 or 3 reds hear for the last 4 years.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
setting the center sometimes still gets tractored. still a few narrow front tractors around me.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Fairchild #17 said:
Where's Lugnut......King of the Tractor Path Trappers.
He scatter bombs good locations!
LOL...the scatterbomb set haha!

Many of my sets look very similar to Furdog's pic.

Here's one from this morning. These sets are on the center hump but I also set the outside edges depending on conditions at the location.

I guess I better trot these pics out again as a warning. This is what you'll get, at least what I get when I crowd the rut. If I set right in the rut, I wouldn't have many traps left at season's end.

I've had 12-14 smashed this season.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
I occasionally set in the rut but found that if I dig a stepdown set and make it as small as possible with good, sharp edges (these don't have to be visible to the animal, you can blend them in), sometimes they can be run over and not even sprung.

I still prefer setting in the center though.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
renny that 1st red has his warning flag up. He didn't want to get run over.

·
Registered
264 Posts
[/quote]

I guess I better trot these pics out again as a warning. This is what you'll get, at least what I get when I crowd the rut. If I set right in the rut, I wouldn't have many traps left at season's end.

[/quote]

I’ve got a big box full of those things.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts