The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tools do you frozen ground trappers use for constructing dirt holes. The ground is hard out there and not sure I could make a dirthole. I'm guessing a heavy duty punch for the hole and a pick axe for the trap bed lol.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Up here the ground is froze about 2 ft down.
I use a hatchet to chop out a trap bed, a large wood cutting chisel to cut out the hole for dirt holes. and a 3 ft crow bar that I drive into the ground so I can get earth stacks in deep enough.I use the crow bar as sort of a pre drill type of thing. None of my stakes be it earth or angle iron are coming out of the ground till the spring thaw in March/April

·
Registered
202 Posts
Lately ive been using a masonry hammer with the pick on the back and a yo-ho trowel. Make sure to use the anitfreeze heavily.. i.e. calcium chloride and/or glycerin!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hey guys, one thing missing here and I found out the hard way, a pair of safety glasses for chopping out trap beds. Would make for a nasty day on the line should you get hit in the eye chipping out a trap bed.

·
Registered
202 Posts
furcatcher said:
Hey guys, one thing missing here and I found out the hard way, a pair of safety glasses for chopping out trap beds. Would make for a nasty day on the line should you get hit in the eye chipping out a trap bed.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Had good luck with a 3" block chisel and small sledge for the trap bed. Rebar for a pilot hole for anchors and dirt hole

·
Registered
999 Posts
panaxman said:
Less swings using a full size pick ax.
I keep a pick ax close by to dig out them pesky Badgers after they dig in with 3 ft of snare attached to them. LOL

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
I "Bed" right on top the frozen ground with my nail method. Just find a natural depression, pound it flat with a 3lb hammer, toss some dry material down, bed with nails, top with dry material, make a wobble hole or two, and be on my way.

New Step down sets are a ton of work in soil like we have now.

·
Registered
230 Posts
MountainMan108 said:
Lately ive been using a masonry hammer with the pick on the back and a yo-ho trowel. Make sure to use the anitfreeze heavily.. i.e. calcium chloride and/or glycerin!
Do you just antifreeze the bed or do you guys use glycerin for in the bait/lure hole to help keep that from freezing if it matters?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts