The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year I struggled with ticks on my gsp. I used a few different types of drops, finally this year I tried one of those seresto collars. The collar has been on 5 months now and after our first hunt the other day, not a single tick was on the dog! This message is in no way shape or form sponsored by seresto, just wanted to put a plug in for those of you who struggle with ticks on your dog.

·
Registered
244 Posts
They've worked great for me for the past few years. Those collars with sheep drench for heartworms and they are covered.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Definitely worth the money! I put new ones on in the spring and they work flawlessly through the next winter. I hunted with a friend and his dog last weekend and he was complaining about ticks all over his dog and mine had none. The next day he bought a serestro.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Make sure you get a genuine Bayer Seresto. There are a lot of fake ones that have Seresto and even the Bayer markings on the can but they are fake. My wife bought some on Ebay because they looked like the real deal. I put one on my beagle and after just a few days she started having upset stomach and becoming lethargic. Ticks were still as bad as they were without a collar, so I began to investigate and found that a lot of people were having similar problems and some of their pets had become very sick and some had died. I did some searching and found out that a lot of fakes are being sold recently. I have included some pics below of how you can tell a fake from the genuine seresto. Hopefully, it will keep someone's best friend from getting sick.

1. Front of cans look similar
2. Back of genuine collar can will have a lot# and expiration date. Fake does not (usually)
3. Genuine will have Seresto and Bayer stamped around the can on the sides. Fake does not.
4. Genuine Seresto is more narrow than the fake.
5. Genuine Seresto have reflectors included. At least the ones have purchased.

Comparison pics.
FAKE COLLAR ON LEFT - GENUINE ON RIGHT

Attachments

·
Registered
550 Posts
Make sure you get a genuine Bayer Seresto. There are a lot of fake ones that have Seresto and even the Bayer markings on the can but they are fake. My wife bought some on Ebay because they looked like the real deal. I put one on my beagle and after just a few days she started having upset stomach and becoming lethargic. Ticks were still as bad as they were without a collar, so I began to investigate and found that a lot of people were having similar problems and some of their pets had become very sick and some had died. I did some searching and found out that a lot of fakes are being sold recently. I have included some pics below of how you can tell a fake from the genuine seresto. Hopefully, it will keep someone's best friend from getting sick.

1. Front of cans look similar
2. Back of genuine collar can will have a lot# and expiration date. Fake does not (usually)
3. Genuine will have Seresto and Bayer stamped around the can on the sides. Fake does not.
4. Genuine Seresto is more narrow than the fake.
5. Genuine Seresto have reflectors included. At least the ones have purchased.

Comparison pics.
My wife did the same thing ... they were from Bayer South Africa, but shipped from England. After she ordered them is when she realized that something might be up ... She ended up calling Bayer, USA and had a pretty long discussion with them. Long story short - Bayer USA couldn't tell her for sure if they were real or not, and they didn't even know for certain if it was the same drugs as used on the collars here. All they'd tell her is that they really shouldn't have even been shipped from an overseas address to us. They suggested calling Bayer South Africa, but we just stopped at that point.

Luckily, she was able to get a refund issued.

On another note ... My older dog has been on one since she was a puppy and the only issue she had was one summer when she was doing a lot of swimming with the collar on - it apparently shouldve been replaced & she got a bad case of fleas, but that's more my fault for not believing them and replacing the collar soon enough. The younger dog seemed to develop a rash from it and will even get one if she's laying on the older dog a lot or spends too much time playing with my buddy's dog who also wears one. She gets a pill from the vet.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I would just suggest that after people put them on there dogs that they keep an eye on them for a couple days because I have 5 labs and hunt them allot ! I had bought the originals and put them on my dogs and 3 of them were fine but my one dog got a very bad skin issue under the collar and lost all her hair around the collar under her neck. My one other dog (her son) started having seizures so I took it off of both of them and so far so good ! Just something to watch for !! My other 3 dogs have been good and tick free with them on !!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Zeke, bought a replacement for mine from Tractor Supply last night and it was like the one on the left.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Zeke, bought a replacement for mine from Tractor Supply last night and it was like the one on the left.
I would recommend calling bayer to see if you could verify. Who knows where Tractor Supply gets theirs? My dog got sick from the one shown in the pic and started to develop skin irritation at the collar site. Never had that happen with the Seresto collars before and I have used them for a number of years.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I would recommend calling bayer to see if you could verify. Who knows where Tractor Supply gets theirs? My dog got sick from the one shown in the pic and started to develop skin irritation at the collar site. Never had that happen with the Seresto collars before and I have used them for a number of years.

Comparison pics.

https://www.petbasics.com/products/seresto/

Bayer website showing the one on the left. Sure you didn't get them mixed up here? The one one left is in English one on right is in French (I think). Just questioning because I want to be sure. Never had a problem with them in 4-5 years.

Reactions: jimbridger

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I buy mine from chewy and it is the one one the left. Has worked though. Says made in Germany for Bayer. Came with reflectors, has a lot number on back, the side says Seresto large dogs. Bayer printed horizontally and vertically,intersecting one another onside of a circle, ant reads bayer polymer matrix. Also has an epa registration number on back of can. As someone else said did you mix up left and right for bad and good.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Comparison pics.

https://www.petbasics.com/products/seresto/

Bayer website showing the one on the left. Sure you didn't get them mixed up here? The one one left is in English one on right is in French (I think). Just questioning because I want to be sure. Never had a problem with them in 4-5 years.
Are you sure that's the Bayer website? I think the company is Pet Basics. Yeah the collars they show say from Bayer, but so do the fakes. The one in the picture is for cats on the left and dogs on the right. That is what came up for me when I clicked on the link. Not sure where Pet Basics gets theirs. I fear that a lot of these companies like Amazon, Ebay, etc., don't have the time or desire to verify the authenticity of the products they sell. I am guessing they are only concerned about which ones make them the most profit.

I had my other dog to the vet in Brookville today and took the collar with me and they verified it was fake. Said they have been hearing a lot of this lately. I ended up buying two Seresto collars from them. One large and one small for our dogs. A little pricier than the Ebay ones, but they are the genuine collars. They list the ingredients on the front and the word Seresto is embossed on the front. You can feel the raised lettering when you run you finger over it. That's another way to tell a fake. A fake won't have that, so I'm told.

I paid $63.75 each for the collars at the vets but they gave me a rebate form for $15 that's good till 12/31/19.

Everyone can make their own choice about which collar is genuine or not, but I think I will get mine straight from the Vet from now on. My dogs are too important to me to take the chance.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I use them on my two hounds and two labs. My one hound had an issue with the collar and started losing the fur on his ears but everything went back to normal once I switched him to Nexgard. The collars do work well and I have to say the Nexgard has been very good also.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
There are a number of key features you should look for when identifying real Seresto Flea and Tick Control collars in the UK:

The tin:
•Measure the tin – a real tin measures 12cm across
•Genuine UK Seresto product features a tin which is printed all over on the lid, with a sticker on the back, NEVER a sliver tin with a sticker on the front and back
•Printing on the lid is of high quality, NEVER with ‘fuzzy’ or poor-quality writing or spelling mistakes
•The Seresto logo on the front of the tin is embossed, so that it feels raised under your fingers
•The tin is sealed all the way around with a tamper proof seal, never with just a single round sticker
•The inside of the tin lid is coloured, the colour depends on the product you have purchased: orange for cat, blue for small dog and red for large dog.
•The side of the top of the tin features the Seresto logo printed all the way around it
•The side of the bottom of tin has an image of a Seresto collar printed all the way around it
•The back of the tin ALWAYS has a clear Lot number AND an expiry date on the sticker NEVER just one of these.
•The legal category of NFA-VPS always features with a black line boxing it out.

The collar itself:
•Always comes packaged in a clear plastic bag featuring the logo, active ingredients and legal text, never in just a clear bag or featuring foil
•A product information leaflet is always inside the tin with the collar
•When first opened, real Seresto features a white powdery residue, this is normal and is just stearic acid which helps free it from the mould during manufacturing
•Real Seresto NEVER smells
•Check the length of the collar: cat and small dog measure 38cm, large dog measures 70cm
•Genuine product features a raised ridge along the entire length of the collar
•Real Seresto collars always feature a safety release NOT a buckle
•The Bayer logo appears on the collar itself in very small print on the cat collar between the safety breaking point and the first loop, on the large dog collar between the first and second loops
•The Lot number is ALWAYS printed on the side
I copied this from the Bayer site (UK). They have a 17 minute video where a gal explains the difference between the real thing and the fakes. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
The ones sold in the UK are not the same as the ones sold in the US. I had both and they both worked just as good. Both are the real deal but you can find the ones from the UK on line cheaper than the ones that are normally sold in the US. The European collars claim to have more of the same ingredients. None have caused problems for my dogs.

Are there fakes out there? I am sure there are but just because they don't all come in the same package does not mean they are not from Bayer. Waugh!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Every year I struggled with ticks on my gsp. I used a few different types of drops, finally this year I tried one of those seresto collars. The collar has been on 5 months now and after our first hunt the other day, not a single tick was on the dog! This message is in no way shape or form sponsored by seresto, just wanted to put a plug in for those of you who struggle with ticks on your dog.
Our lab is a year old. We have used seresto collars since we got her. They were bought at the vets office. Not online or Walmart. They didn’t work for her. She tested positive for a tick born illness. It wasn’t Lyme disease, but I’m still not happy about it. The vet has switched her to Bravecto!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I have always struggled to find a good flea collar. My beagle just coudn't get rid of them. Bought a genuine Seresto at Tractor supply and the fleas were gone in less than a week. No more scratching and itching, amazing stuff. Been on him for 2 months now. They are supposed to last 8 months. Pricey, but well worth it for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts