The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No way sra guys are heading home after work to sit on the couch today right?

Not to often I get excited until October 20-something, but I would consider this a no-joke cold front and it’s got me really jacked up. I pulled a card last weekend and had two shooters, with 2 hours of daylight left on that midweek cool spell last week.

After the card pull I could not believe the forecast in time for the front half of the weekend. I immediately submitted the approval requests to the wife and said I will willingly trade a rut afternoon for tonight. Got the green light.

I know their patterns may have changed by now, but to me the excitement and anticipation is all part of enjoying the season.

·
Registered
LET'S GO BRANDON
3,263 Posts
No way sra guys are heading home after work to sit on the couch today right?

Not to often I get excited until October 20-something, but I would consider this a no-joke cold front and it’s got me really jacked up. I pulled a card last weekend and had two shooters, with 2 hours of daylight left on that midweek cool spell last week.

After the card pull I could not believe the forecast in time for the front half of the weekend. I immediately submitted the approval requests to the wife and said I will willingly trade a rut afternoon for tonight. Got the green light.

I know their patterns may have changed by now, but to me the excitement and anticipation is all part of enjoying the season.
You traded a rut afternoon? Wow........

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Last night was the night here, pile of buck on their feet and in the open well before dark. I can't imagine what it might have been like deeper in the timber. Continued good luck to you SRA hunters, no reason we couldn't start antlered hunting statewide at the same time every year.

·
Registered
12,390 Posts
Sounds nuts, but with shooters moving in daylight in an overlooked spot I gotta go for it.
Get your wife a horse like I did with mine and you will get a free pass for the entire season. If she’s not into horses something else that costs a lot of money that you have absolutely zero interest in. Lol

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Get your wife a horse like I did with mine and you will get a free pass for the entire season. If she’s not into horses something else that costs a lot of money that you have absolutely zero interest in. Lol
hahaha!

That is a fantastic idea. Once the girls are in School that may be in the cards. She does like horses.

·
Registered
943 Posts
not unusual to see bucks together and out before dark this time of year once the hunters hit the woods they know it and become more cautious and then nocturnal the first couple of days may be productive since they are caught off guard but they soon wise up and its tough going until the rut sets in

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
not unusual to see bucks together and out before dark this time of year once the hunters hit the woods they know it and become more cautious and then nocturnal the first couple of days may be productive since they are caught off guard but they soon wise up and its tough going until the rut sets in
I watch the same field 365 days a year, in the daylight and with cams after dark. Without a doubt there was a spike in movement last night before dark. It rained on and off all day, stopping by 6 pm, it was 40 overnight here, 9 am, it's 43 here, and still deer in the field right now. I agree with what you are saying, my point is in line with the OP, the cold snap had them up and in the open earlier than most nights.

Fwiw, I have buck in the same field the entire hunting season, it is all about managing the pressure they feel. I have watched 6 legal buck feed in the same field as the last minutes of the 2 week rifle season ticked away. This is my 27th season here and I've never shot one in that field.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts