The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This hearing took place today Feb 12th. Watch, or listen to this hearing as you do other things. Many good points from those on our side.

Washington, DC

<span style="font-weight: bold">Tuesday, February 12, 2013</span>

The Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on the Constitution held a hearing Tuesday that examined the current proposals under consideration to curb gun violence.

Panelists including a Virginia U.S. Attorney, victims of gun violence and constitutional law attorneys spoke about the constitutionality of universal background checks on gun buyers, banning assault weapons and limiting bullet cartridges.

Witnesses included: U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Virginia Timothy Heaphy; Laurence Tribe, Harvard Law School professor; Daniel Webster, Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research director and professor; Sandra Wortham, sister of slain Chicago Police Officer Thomas Wortham IV; Charles Cooper, partner at Cooper & Kirk, PLLC; and Suzanna Hupp, survivor of a 1991 mass shooting in Killeen, Texas.

http://www.c-span.org/Events/Senate-Cmte-Examines-Gun-Reform-Proposals/10737437978/

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It is frustrating at times that we know there is a damaging response or fact to be provided.... and it never comes.

for the life of me, i can not get over that no one ever seems to correct the statement from the anti's that internet and private sales are done without any background checks. Sure - a yeas and no answer to that. But few go to the trouble of explaining the larger point that handguns always get a background check. And, unless purchased in the same state, all long guns purchased privately get a background check.

Seriously, both statements take only seconds.

Heck, that statement (no background checks on private internet and gun shows) should have been a series of investigation and questioning on its own.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They... are the other side.

WE... have our own side of the discussion.

Worth listening to both sides. Knowing how the opposition presents the talking points is essential in defeating them.

Know the enemy. It goes far beyond being pro or against this or anything else.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I can't handle watching this. Can you summarize?

I have read that this won't make it out of committee, let alone to the senate floor. What do you think tick?

I'm thinking this is going no where. I really wish this was all over. I actually loose sleep over this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts