The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought i might ask this in this site so there wont be a 26 pages. Ever wondered why pa. has not allowed semi's for deer hunting or they will ever change it? living where i do hunting the 3 states is popular but cant take a bar or 7400 to pa. I never have and never will own a semi but seems a little un fair a fine rifle like the browning bar isnt allowed. I go to the range and see the sk deal maybe thats the intent but this law i think has been forever even before there popularity.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Not sure what the reasoning is behind it. I don't see the problem with semi autos for deer, just make a magazine cap at 4 or 5 rounds. That would stop guys with various military arms from blazing away like an idiot for 30 rounds. Something like "Center-Fire auto loading rifles designed in a manner that no more than 1 round be fired for each complete trigger depression, with no more than 5 rounds total in the weapon between chamber and magazine".
If the people in the know were really worried about assault rifles they could put a caliber restriction on it as well. 30 cal or higher, something like that.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I just wish they'd allow semi-autos for small game and predator hunting and air rifles for small game. It seems like there's a whole realm of hunting firearms I'm missing out on due to unfounded regulations. I'd still use a bolt action rifle for deer and bear.

FWIW I've seen guys with lever action and pumps action rifles send lead down range at a deer fast enough to make an AR owner jealous.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Old habits & ideas die hard ESPECIALLY in Pennsylvania! I have always liked the Winchester M100 a semi version of the M88...I believe semi auto slug guns are legal in the SRA's?? Think about that! Some don't want me "slinging lead" in the ANF but they are onboard with the new high tech slugs out of semi's in higher populated area's? Everyone feels they have to police the next guy! A friend has a great shooting AR that would be a nice rifle to use for hogs. Just not in Old Pennsylvania. Times change....just not in Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats my point, i have seen or heard guys with pumps sounding like semi's also. if it doesent have a bolt its not a gun to me but my opinion and preference only. im looking at the guy who lives in say md. or w.va and has 742 or bar 270 and only gun he owns. cant venture out to pa woods seems a little un fair to him. My dad for example only had 1 rifle 788- 308 and 1 shotgun 870- 16 gauge. Mom controlled the money and he sure wasent going to have 2 deer rifles.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are coming around give your state a little more credit. I never did get a good answer on the 9:00 am first day of turkey season years ago.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
outofstater said:
im looking at the guy who lives in say md. or w.va and has 742 or bar 270 and only gun he owns. cant venture out to pa woods seems a little un fair to him.
If he can only have one gun then he should purchase one that is able to be utilized in all states he wants to hunt in. Its not unfair, its the rules and regulations that everyone is to adhere to.

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
outofstater said:
Mom controlled the money and he sure wasent going to have 2 deer rifles.
That is an interesting concept right there.How many minutes were they married?

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Is there a good reason to have semi's for hunting? I'm not bein smart I'm just asking. The only reason I have seen in these threads before is because someone has a semi rifle that they really like.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
diablo666 said:
outofstater said:
Mom controlled the money and he sure wasent going to have 2 deer rifles.
That is an interesting concept right there.How many minutes were they married?
really want the answer? 10 months shy of 62 years. Had misforntune of having to place my dad in nursing home last june for alyshimer. My mom until she got sick about 6 weeks ago only missed around 4 days of visiting him. Than on most visits she would conk out and crawl in bed with him. Very touching to see these 2 in a hospital bed taking a nap.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
The 9:am opening of fall turkey and small game was created a long time ago to allow farmers to get their barn work done and be able to hunt and have an even chance at hunting the opener just like everyone else. A commissioner didn't like the 9am opener for turkey so he pushed to do away with the 9am opener for everything. You just didn't ask the rright person.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
My dad's neighbor owns a Ruger 44 carbine that he bought
back in the 70s. He takes it to the range every couple
of years, but he could care less about hunting with it.
He shoots mostly crows and groundhogs these days and uses
one of his many bolt actions in his collection.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did ask the right person now retired wco Tim flanigan and he told me the same thing you did. I actually thought he was bs me. I figured it couldnt of been that simple.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
with the number of hunters we have here in Pa., and some of them are a little trigger happy, i hope they never allow semi rifles for deer hunting. just wouldnt want to hear of someone getting shot because of all the bullets flying. also, people need to take time and make their first shot count, instead of shooting until a deer drops. i agree on maybe using a semi 22 for small game. rabbits and squirrels. also thought that using a semi handgun like the ruger 5 1/2 inch target 22 would be fun for squirrels. just my opinion.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thinking on the line there is some real quality semi's out there, the bar is no nickel and dime gun by far. Pa. is one few states like this. I never plan to own or especially hunt with one but wondering why they have been illegal for so many years. As ststed earlier as far as spraying bullets i have heard a lot of pumps smoking them out over the years.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Oldtimer6304 said:
Times change....just not in Pennsylvania.
Why change just for the sake of...Change?..With the ever spreading population in our urban areas, we'll be lucky to be using rifles at all in a few years, let alone semi's.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Semi auto shotguns are legal in PA, but not slug shotguns, except in special reg areas. No semi auto rifles or pistols are legal to hunt anything. I think a lot of kids could get interested in squirrel hunting with a semi, like a Ruger 10-22. But PA seems to always be in the dark ages.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
GOD..we can't even get SUNDAY hunting let alone the use of semi-auto rifles!! I would think it would be next to impossible to get it approved..

1 - 20 of 94 Posts