The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
springfreak said:
hmmm, good question, WCO'S how would you handle that?
They would say the same exact thing duckman76 said above!

It has been brought up in this forum many times over... to many times to count and the same thing has been answered by the WCOs as duckman76 posted!

·
Registered
465 Posts
wasn't there something though like if you took the recoil spring out of an ar15 style rifle rendering it single shot that it was allowed?

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Why to go all that trouble? Single shot shotguns are cheap, Spend the $99.00 to buy one of them and hunt with slugs, this way you're legal. Why tempt fate by screwing around?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
No, you can't just remove springs, a semi auto is a semi auto. This has been discussed ad nauseum.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry guys. just got a ruger mini 14, wanted to know if it could do double duty on ground hogs. never owned a semi before so i didn't know.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Perhaps you should have asked the question before you bought the gun.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"Perhaps you should have asked the question before you bought the gun."

i didn't buy the gun FOR hunting. i was wondering if could also use it for hunting.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Six, You didn't say what kind of semi auto you purchased. There are some semi-autos that can be motified to be legal in Pa. If you happen to have a AR-15 type rifle, you can take out the gas tube and plug the gas port making it a legal "manually operated" rife in the State of Pa. I have used the same Colt AR-15 model 6721 for the last five years. Be advised, if you hunt a popular area, every hunter will ask you " what king of gun is that" and if you get checked, the Game Warden could send your semi auto type rifle to the State Police crime lab to have it checked out. I use my AR-15 a few times during the Deer season and only on private land. I hope this helps. Doc in Pa.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have never been able to understand why the use of a semi is Illegal in Pa. I own a few of them and hunt West Virginia also where they are legal. Take anyone that knows how to shoot a 760 gamemaster and they can shoot as fast and as many rounds as a semi, Heck I have seen guys in my lifetime that can shoot a bolt quite fast also. No matter how you look at it there's still lead flying around ...
Semi's offer a nice advantage though you can normaly get a smooth follow up shot if needed. I can't remember when the last time I needed a follow up shot. I think it's a game commission thing. I asked a game commission officer one time years ago why the use of a Semi was Illegal and the smart assed answer he gave me is because its the law, just as I figured I would receive doubt if he new either.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Its not the people that know how to shoot a semi-auto that worries me. Its those who don't take the time to become proficient, and who would use a semi as a way to get around their lack of ability as a shooter. The spray and pray crowd if you will, would definitely be a danger in the woods. For that reason I'd rather not see semi-autos made legal to hunt with.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts