The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hopefully not,too many knuckle heads.when I was 12yrs old and my great uncle walked me on the old logging roads where we hunted deer,if we heard a single shot he would say “dead deer” if we heard multiple rapid succesion shots he would say “that one’s still running”absolutely no need for semi auto in deer hunting,one shot one kill

·
Registered
17,777 Posts
With all the different styles, terrain, and the amount of hunters in Penns woods. It would be a safety issue.
That seems to be the common argument against them. The reality is semiautomatic firearms for big game have been legal in our heaviest hunted and highest populated areas of the state for many, many years and hunting has remained very safe for both hunters and non hunters. Yes, these are shotgun only areas but modern shotgun single projectile shotgun ammo is vastly different than the pumpkin balls of the past. Also, a study was commissioned to look at rifle compared to modern shotgun projectiles and it found that the heavy, slower moving shotgun projectiles were more likely to travel further after being fired than rifle projectiles in hunting situations. So the bottom line, if there really was a legitimate safety issues with semi auto in this state, it would have already reared its ugly head and it hasn't.

If one is objective, there is no reason why they should not be a legal option for hunters in this state.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Welcome.
Now sit back and enjoy the excuse show.
You’re going to be treated to many posts claiming that things will happen in PA that have never happened in any of the 42 other states that allow semiautomatic rifles in deer season…. You won’t hear reasons supported by evidence, just unsupported fears and logical disconnects because “PA is different” or “our terrain is unique” or “we have the highest hunter density”, or the all-time classic projection, “if You need one, you can’t shoot/shouldn’t be hunting.”

If you do a little searching, you’ll see we host this rodeo a few times a year. The same people still hold the same positions. It’ll never change.
Not trying to scare you, but in general folks here are either of the “I don’t care how someone else legally hunts” mindset or they’re of the “you’re not a real hunter if you don’t do it my way, and should be legally prohibited from doing it any other way but mine” mindset. Fortunately there’s more of the former, but the latter are more vocal.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The bang bang people that buys the AR rifles will just use deer season - deer as walking targets.
Go out, shoot the crap out of the deer, laugh about it and walk away.
Someone proposed something about being able to use a semi auto rifle if it was plugged to a 3 shot limit.
My Browning Pump Rifle is exactly the same as the BAR - but it only holds 4 shells, no matter what you do, that is the most it will hold!
But the trigger group slide release is so crappy it has cost me several fine deer - when the slide opened and the rifle would not fire, that I relegated it to the gun rack, and that is where it is going to stay!
I can shoot my 760 Gamemaster just as fast as you can fire a semi auto rifle and it only takes me one shot - usually - to kill a deer.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
The bang bang people that buys the AR rifles will just use deer season - deer as walking targets.
Someone proposed something about being able to use a semi auto rifle if it was plugged to a 3 shot limit.
My Browning Pump Rifle is exactly the same as the BAR - but it only holds 4 shells, no matter what you do, that is the most it will hold!
But the trigger group slide release is so crappy it has cost me several fine deer - when the slide opened and the rifle would not fire, that I relegated it to the gun rack, and that is where it is going to stay!
I can shoot my 760 Gamemaster just as fast as you can fire a semi auto rifle and it only takes me one shot - usually - to kill a deer.
@Glock_215
Example #1 of what I said above.
Thanks Jerbo.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Looks like a real ringer choosing such a topic for the first post.

Answer: I certainly hope they do not get approved.

No approval for a very good reason. Most all Sportsmen organizations and even the PGC do not trust SA rifle users and have made that very clear with their range rules. Magazine limits and rapid fire are not allowed.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts

No approval for a very good reason. Most all Sportsmen organizations and even the PGC do not trust SA rifle users and have made that very clear with their range rules. Magazine limits and rapid fire are not allowed.
Correct me if I’m mistaken, but those mag and rapid fire restrictions apply to all action types, right?

@Glock_215 here’s example #2:
@IHMSA53393 you do realize the PGC WANTS to allow them, and has studied the matter and knows it’s safe and acceptable, and only a handful of meddlers in the GA and some vocal hoplophobes oppose it, right?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Boy do we have a lot to unpack here.

Hopefully not,too many knuckle heads.when I was 12yrs old and my great uncle walked me on the old logging roads where we hunted deer,if we heard a single shot he would say “dead deer” if we heard multiple rapid succesion shots he would say “that one’s still running”absolutely no need for semi auto in deer hunting,one shot one kill
You can also use only one shot with a semi auto as well, nothing is making you shoot more than one. I’d like to hunt with my M1 Garand but just because I’m using a semi auto doesn’t mean I’m suddenly going to dump the clip like the krauts are coming over the wire.

I certainly hope not. There is no need at all for semi automatic rifles in deer woods. With all the different styles, terrain, and the amount of hunters in Penns woods. It would be a safety issue.
A semi auto shoots no different from a regular rifle, if someone is a safety hazard with a semi auto they are already one with their current rifle.

I've lived in a State where they were legal for deer. Nobody used them. A modern bolt action is nearly ideal for hunting
Coming from someone who has almost exclusively hunted with a bolt action for the last 15 years that is entirely besides the point. The same logic that semi autos are dangerous and shoot too fast could be applied to a bolt action in relation to a single shot. After all you only need one shot so why use a repeater.

If you want you can use a semiautomatic shotgun
Shotguns suck for deer hunting, with more recoil, worst ballistics, sub par accuracy and a higher chance of ricochet they are inferior in every way to rifles. I would never hunt deer with a shotgun as long as any other firearm was available to use.

I own an AR but I’ve never banged away at any animal. I’ve killed 95% of my deer with a single shot and most of the ones that I shot twice were dead on the first one but I chose to use a second to end it quicker.

Many ranges also don’t let you have more than a handful of rounds in the magazine regardless of the type of action or you need to allow more than 6 seconds between shots. I could beat both of those with a bolt action .22.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I judge the common sense of a regulation or process by the look on a person's face who is new to PA or new to hunting. Now maybe I'm just a poor 'splainer but I have had the privilege to introduce three people to PA hunting this year. Two had hunted in VA and MD and one new hunter. Between the pink envelope doe process and the semi-auto rules, the look on their faces pretty much said it all. Just remember the two basic rules of life, "common sense isn't common and the gene pool doesn't have a life guard!" The first is a good reason to legalize them. The second might be justification to keep them banned!

1 - 20 of 125 Posts