The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't had any luck looking it up, so can anyone tell me if it's legal to sell quills and guard hairs from legally harvested porcupines?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
The law says inedible parts may be sold as long as they are sold within 90 days of the close of the season in which they were taken.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
John S said:
The law says inedible parts may be sold as long as they are sold within 90 days of the close of the season in which they were taken.
Porcupine quills are inedible?

OK. I'll be serious. I'm wondering (not just about porcupine quills) that if a person makes some kind of artwork or craft with inedible game animal parts, does that have to be sold within 90 days of the close of the season?

We've all seen lots of examples:
Turkey feathers with painted scenes on them.
Antler tips attached to a bolo tie, or key fobs.
Dry flies made from deer hair.
Deer hoofs on the bottom of a walking cane.

Or does that apply only to animal parts that are unaltered?

Steve.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It applies to all of that. If the person who legally harvested a game animal makes the craft and sells them within the 90 days of the close of the season it would be legal, if later than 90 days illegal.

Nothing shall prevent:

(iv) The sale or purchase of any inedible part thereof, from game or wildlife lawfully killed, if such parts are disposed of by the original owner within 90 days after the close of the season in which the game or wildlife was taken.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
So if the artist gets the feathers from someone else and did not harvest the turkey it is legal? Or if the crafter did not harvest the deer the antlers came from?

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
If you have guard hairs for sale please send me a PM. I have been trying to get my hands on some for years.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The legal stuff confuses me also. For example, if the quills are made into a quilled sheath for a patch knife etc... it isn't legal to sell it after 90days from end of season? That's just plain illogical. But then there's plenty of stuff that seems to make no sense

1 - 10 of 10 Posts