The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were to sell a hunting rifle or shotgun privately, what is the best way to do so to protect yourself?I am referring to having it taken out of your name if it is your name or to protect you from selling it to someone with a criminal background.I know guns all sold all the time thru the papers or other means, but never really thought about if someone used it for a crime once you sold it to them.

·
Registered
638 Posts
ask for a copy of a valid pa. LTCF, and the bill of sale.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have 2 copy's of my Drivers license, and I ask the person I am selling to have a 2 copy's of thiers. I write on the copy's of thier DL all my info and what was transfered, and we write on my copy's thier info and what was transfered and we both get one of each.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
There is no registration of guns in PA
No gov. agency can tell what guns you own.
Only thing done when you purchase a gun from a FFL is a background check. Paper work you fill out is sent in and double check done. Then with in 72 hrs of it being received by PSP - that paperwork must be destroyed.
PA does not have a registration law - if they keep any paper work it would be the same as having a registration.
That being said - if it makes you feel better, get or give a bill of sale.
You can ask for their DL number and jot it down on BOS.

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
most people will not give out DL info, to much damage can be done with that info, a bill of sale or just seeing a LTCF is good enough.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Might as well give your ssn too if your stupid enough to hand over a copy of your drivers license and put the final nail in your identity.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
4cslabs said:
There is no registration of guns in PA
No gov. agency can tell what guns you own.
Only thing done when you purchase a gun from a FFL is a background check. Paper work you fill out is sent in and double check done. Then with in 72 hrs of it being received by PSP - that paperwork must be destroyed.
PA does not have a registration law - if they keep any paper work it would be the same as having a registration.
That being said - if it makes you feel better, get or give a bill of sale.
You can ask for their DL number and jot it down on BOS.
I've tried to explain it to people, that you're not having it taken out of your name by going to a FFL, because it NEVER was in your name to begin with. Noone ever believes me...

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Long guns are not in anyones "Name", even if you bought it new. You need to do nothing when you sell a long gun, you have no liability to the object whatsoever. I understand your concern, but its just that kind of "HYPE" thats been implanted in honest people. Its no different than selling the guy a brick, then he smashes a window with it, its no legal embodiment to the seller because no paperwork is required.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Straight from the Q&A section of ATF web site

Q: What record-keeping procedures should be followed when two private individuals want to engage in a firearms transaction?
When a transaction takes place between private (unlicensed) persons who reside in the same State, the Gun Control Act (GCA) does not require any record keeping. A private person may sell a firearm to another private individual in his or her State of residence and, similarly, a private individual may buy a firearm from another private person who resides in the same State. It is not necessary under Federal law for a Federal firearms licensee (FFL) to assist in the sale or transfer when the buyer and seller are “same-State” residents. Of course, the transferor/seller may not knowingly transfer a firearm to someone who falls within any of the categories of prohibited persons contained in the GCA. See 18 U.S.C. §§ 922(g) and (n). However, as stated above, there are no GCA-required records to be completed by either party to the transfer.

There may be State or local laws or regulations that govern this type of transaction. Contact State Police units or the office of your State Attorney General for information on any such requirements.

Please note that if a private person wants to obtain a firearm from a private person who resides in another State, the firearm will have to be shipped to an FFL in the buyer’s State. The FFL will be responsible for record keeping

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
there is no registry
a gun is under no persons name .

however 2 things bad can happen in a FTF sale.
1 the seller could be selling a stolen gun
2 the buyer could be a criminal

there is a list of reported stolen guns
there is also a list of criminal
if you have any doubts as either a buyer or seller go to a gunshop and have them run the background checks

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
List of stolen guns and list of criminals should be made available to everyone. Shouldn't have to go to a FFL to find out this kind of info.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I haven't sold a long gun for a while but, given the times and ethical concerns that a seller or buyer may have ( and to potentially protect your own butt), it may not be a bad idea to put a statement on the bill of sale for the buyer to sign that says something to the effect "By signing this bill of sale I certify that I am legally permitted to purchase a firearm in Pennsylvania" and for the seller to include "By signing this bill of sale I certify that I am the legal owner of the firearm being sold". Just a thought for debate.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Good post by 4cslabs from the ATF's website. A point should be made, you aren't required too go to an FFL to sell long guns privately in PA, but you always have that option. Covers you if a back ground check is a concern. Hand guns are required to be transferred at an FFL in PA. This from PSP's website:

Q. What do I need to do if I want to sell or transfer
a firearm to a friend?
A. PA residents can transfer a long gun to another
PA resident providing the individual is not
prohibited. Handgun transfers must be
completed at a licensed firearm dealer’s place
of business. Private transfers for any type of
firearm to an individual who resides in another
state must be processed through a licensed
firearm dealer from the buyer’s state of
residence.
Q. When processing a private transfer, will the
dealer charge me a fee?
A. There is a $2.00 fee to run a PICS check to
verify that the intended recipient of the
firearm is not prohibited. In addition, most
firearm dealers have a processing fee that is
determined by the individual dealers.
Therefore, you may want to ask the dealer
what his fee is prior to initiating the transfer.

·
Banned
751 Posts
There should be no concern if you are the seller, it is on the buyer to be legal and the seller of a long gun can get in no trouble for selling a rifle in a private sale, period end of story.take the cash and give them their gun, if they are not legal to own it it is on them not you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts