The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Selling ATV without title?

7K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Bigbrownie 
#1 ·
Here’s the situation...my brother bought an old Honda from a friend who bought it from the oil company he worked for. (All parties involved are in the up and up and I can vouch for personally...ie, no worries it’s stolen) My brother bought it as a gift for my dad to get him out in the woods, but my dad really has no desire to use it. There was no bill of sale or title transfer from the company to the first owner or from the first owner to my brother. As it is simply taking up space, it would be nice to see it go. My question is if there is a way to sell it without a title, and while we’re at it, is there a legal way to be able to ride it without it being titled (farm use, private property, etc)?

Thanks!

#2 ·
You cannot sell an ATV or any motorized vehicle in Pa. with out a valid title. It is illegal ,your brothers friend purchased it illegally from the oil company....Although I would think an oil company would certainly have a title for it if they were to sell it, it would have had to have been registered for the company to get insurance on it to cover their butts incase of an accident while an employee was operating it...For all you know it could have been stolen? Check the serial numbers, and maybe get them checked out at the department of motor vehicles.....Good Luck....

#4 ·
Although I would think an oil company would certainly have a title for it if they were to sell it, it would have had to have been registered for the company to get insurance on it to cover their butts incase of an accident while an employee was operating it...For all you know it could have been stolen? Check the serial numbers, and maybe get them checked out at the department of motor vehicles.....Good Luck....
PA does not require ATVs owned by out of state businesses and used exclusively for business or ag purposes to be titled or registered.

I would think the business would want to insure the ATV and these would be required for said insurance, but after years of being in business, nothing surprises me when it comes to companies not taking care of little things like having proper insurance on their equipment.:surprise2:

#5 ·
You basically have to sell it as a "farm bike". Not illegal to sell but the buyer will never be able to register it so they usually bring a lot less money. The big consignment sale at the Greene Co Fairgrounds this weekend sold dozens of ATV/UTV's without titles. Have the State Police run the VIN if you are worried it was stolen.

#12 ·
You wouldn’t think so....but this is Pa. still have to register it. From DCNR ATV site....

Limited Registration -- This registration is for ATVs used exclusively on the property of the owner. There is no fee and the registration does not expire. The owner is provided with a registration plate and a card, but no expiration sticker.
In Pennsylvania, registration is not required for:

ATVs used exclusively as utility vehicles for agricultural or business operations
ATVs owned by nonresidents covered by a valid registration in their state, province, or country that honors Pennsylvania registration
ATVs owned and used by a federal, state, or local government body
ATVs owned by a dealer who has been issued a dealer registration certificate and used only in connection with the dealer’s business

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.