The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Lycoming Co. and have a self defense permit.Can I carry it concealed and can I carry it to hunt ? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
877 Posts
You can carry it while out hunting as long as you have a permit. but you can not hunt with it unless it's firearms season and it's single action.....

·
Registered
24,755 Posts
It may behoove you to go over the laws or take a course as long as you want to carry a firearm...I never heard of a self defense permit

You may carry concealed while you hunt ... providing you have a permit to carry a firearm.

You may only lawfully hunt with a manually operated hand gun, either single or double action. You many not hunt with a semi automatic pistol.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Majik Man said:
You can carry it while out hunting as long as you have a permit. but you can not hunt with it unless it's firearms season and it's single action.....
Uh, you can use a single action, double action, single shot (T/C Contender, Encore) or even a bolt action handgun.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
timberdoodle said:
It may behoove you to go over the laws or take a course as long as you want to carry a firearm...I never heard of a self defense permit
Box 6 (Reason to Carry) on the LTCF states the reason for the permit. "Self Defense" is one of the options, but not the actual name of the permit. I suppose calling it a License to Carry Firearms for Self Defense is a bit long winded.

·
Registered
24,755 Posts
28. REASON FOR A LICENSE TO CARRY FIREARMS:
SELF-DEFENSE EMPLOYMENT HUNTING/FISHING TARGET SHOOTING GUN COLLECTING OTHER

or just call it "license to carry firearms".... short but to the point..

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
Do you have a library of "everything under the sun" books of rules and regulations ? You are Mr. Johnny-On-Da-Spot, regarding such matters there tumblerdiddie.

·
Registered
375 Posts
This was a question I had. I have an M&P Shield 9mm and also have my concealed carry permit (Self Defense). I have intent on carrying this weapon in the woods when I am not carrying a rifle. So if I read these posts, since I have my permit, I can conceal carry a semi-auto as long as I am not using it to hunt?

I have read the PSP rules and felt that they were vague. Followed up with my friend who is a trooper and he confirmed that the rules are somewhat vague.

Anyone have suggestions on a good course to take in the Pittsburgh area?

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I plan on carrying mine.
I just got my concealed carry permit and I have my semi-auto with IWB holster...

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
With a license to carry, you can carry a firearm (handgun) for self-defense during any hunting season. The handgun can be a semi-auto or revolver. Actually, it can be anything that fits into the description of a "firearm" as defined in the Crimes Code.

You cannot use a firearm (handgun) to take or put down game, unless the use of that handgun is allowed to take or put down game in that particular season. No semi-automatic handguns ever fall into this category.

For instance, during the deer rifle season, you could carry a revolver and use that revolver to take or put down a deer.

If you have a semi-auto pistol, you could carry it, but not use it to take or put down a deer.

Exactly what rules does your trooper friend find "vague"?

·
Registered
830 Posts
heights87 said:
I have read the PSP rules and felt that they were vague. Followed up with my friend who is a trooper and he confirmed that the rules are somewhat vague.

I suggest your Trooper friend take a good course on the laws he is supposed to enforce - without vagueness.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
HD1969 said:
heights87 said:

I suggest your Trooper friend take a good course on the laws he is supposed to enforce - without vagueness.
Ding...ding....ding!! We have a winner here!
lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts