The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any other folks out there are into making there own bows and taking game with. I have built a few hickory self bows in the 65 to 72lb draw weights at 30inhes. and have taken a few deer. Nothing like taking a deer with a bow you've built.

·
Registered
19,942 Posts
One of these days I'm going to give that a try. Always wanted to build a bow out of hedge and put black phase rattlesnake hide on it.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I am not but I would like to try. One of my co-workers is into traditional archery and is trying to get the gear needed to build one.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I built one for myself a few years ago, and I started another but haven't finished it yet. I've also built smaller versions for 4 of my nephews. I enjoy shooting them, but haven't put the time in to get good enought to really hunt with them.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
I started to build one and what started out to be 70" quickly became 52"
I am going to finish that one and then start on a new one. I use hickory staves that I bought on the internet and I have been saving all the sinew from my deer. I hope to hunt with one next year

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I have a couple bushell baskets of hickory shavings from the one I have yet to finish...the plan is to kill something with it then smoke it with the shavings. Man's gotta have dreams.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I have built quite a few selfbows, composite bows, and fiberglass laminated bows. It is a great thrill to take game with a bow and arrows you crafted yourself. For a selfbow, osage is hard to beat.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Osage is the choice by many bowyers, my choice is hickory currently. i think m
y next step is napping some obsidian and using the points on cedar shafts to take a deer. I admit it is fun to switch up from year to year, going from compound bow to a self bow. the thrill is awesome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts