The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i'm gonna try and explain this the best i can about choosing the right MD for you. Now as many are aware there are vast variety of metal detectors available,but choosing the right one for a new person to this hobby can be quite overwhelming from all the many options available.Now i have been detecting on and off for probably 10 years or better and have had some pretty expensive machines in the time,but let me say 1 thing,They all do the same thing and that's detect metal objects.Your gonna go through the grass is greener on the otherside thing as we all did at 1 point in time,but if you give your new machine the time and learn what it's telling you you'll do just as good with it as the other guy swinging the $1000 machine.I have had Minelabs,Whites,Teknetics and so on,but know what i use now? A Tesoro Compadre $169 machine and to be honest i enjoy this machine more then the others i have had,just plain and simple and it get's the job done,1 knob and that's it,couldn't get any simpler,but do your homework,ask questions the more the better and don't think you need a Cadilac when maybe a Volkswagon will do what you need.Rich

·
Registered
540 Posts
I agree.

A metal detector is similar to any other tool, gun, or fishing rod in that success is in how well YOU can use it.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Garrett makes some pretty nice machines for the price. If they are within your budget, I would look at the ace350 on the low end or the AT Pro on the high end.

I've used White's, Garrett and Minelab. My Minelab has a TTF feature which allows me to see any metal in highly mineralized soil, often times grabbing targets that my hunting partners have walked right over.
However, don't ever let anyone tell you that ONE detector is the best. My group uses Garrett, White's, Minelab and we ALL have found items in the exact areas the rest were detecting. Sometimes it is features of the detector, often times it is features/habits of the detectorist

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope no one took my post the wrong way.If you can afford a higher end machine then by all means go for it,but just remember with those higher end machines comes a learning period with all the extra features and some get so disgusted trying to learn the machine and end up putting them up for sale or stick them in the closet to collect dust.As far as Garrett goes if i were going to buy one i'd go for the AT Pro,had the Ace 250 once and just hated the tones it gave off,sounded like the sound when you leave a car door open.Rich

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
car door chime, yes that is about it
I knew when my friend was using his, it sounded like something familiar.

no offense taken I'm sure, this forum is about opinions and all are free to them

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have a Garrett AT Pro (love it) and I recently upgraded my girlfriend to an Ace 350. We both have Garrett Propointers, as well.

Reading MD forums, it appears Garrett’s customer service is outstanding and they constantly go well beyond any type of stated warranty. Luckily, I have yet to put their customer service to test.

Disclaimer – I don’t work for Garrett.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Longie, I had an issue with my first propointer. They sent me a new one and had me ship the old one back, so i wouldn't be without it during repair. Yes, their customer service is awesome

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I'm glad this thread got started. I have been wanting to get a metal detector for quite some time now, but don't know a darn thing about them.If someone had for example say a $300 budget to get started, what would you guys recommend? Also what the heck is a pinpointer? And what kind of shovel or digger tool would be a good choice? Please excuse my ignorance of this stuff, just trying to learn some before I spend my money. Thanks for the help, and I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
PinPointer is a handheld device that senses a target out to about 2 inches. It allows you to dig your plug and then "locate" the side/area of plug where your target lies. This in most cases decreases target recovery time because you don't have to sift through soil looking for the target. It also allows you to dig small, neat plugs instead of just digging a huge poke and hope hole. They are worth their weight in gold.
Shovel/digger- you can go name brand and lookup the Lesche digger, go to home depot and buy the temper tools shovel or any other small garden sized shovel will do. The stronger/straighter the blade, the better. I use a "dagger" shovel with a 10inch blade, but is only 2 inches wide. allows me to dig small, neat plugs.

as for the $300 range, if you buy the pinpointer and shovel, you are already half cut into that budget.
If you are looking to spend the whole $300 on a detector, you have a LOT of choices. I'd stick with the Whites/Garret/Tesoro/Minelab brands personally.
I know a lot of guys that like the cheap bounty hunters from Cabelas, but I know a LOT LOT more that absolutely despise them.

·
Registered
263 Posts
4c_game_chaser said:
Longie, I had an issue with my first propointer. They sent me a new one and had me ship the old one back, so i wouldn't be without it during repair. Yes, their customer service is awesome
On one of the forums (I think FMD), one guy said that he ran over his Propointer with his lawnmower and Garrett sent him a new one.

On another note: I notice this sub-forum was started on Sunday, but I only found it today. Great idea. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Longie.Here's a couple of ideas that may help you out.1]Get yourself the Fisher F2 combo pack,it comes with 2 search coils,finds apron,cheap plastic digger,headphones and a cheap Fisher/Bounty hunter pinpointer.The whole set up may run you about $215-229 got my boy one and it does a very fine job at finding things.Another option for simplicity is what i use and that's a Tesoro Compadre with a 5.75" coil with this unit not really even a need for a pinpointer but you can get this one for around $169 and still get the Garrett propointer and not be over your budget maybe a few dollars with tax.Check Craigslist there are always some good deals on there also and you may be able to find something close to you and save on shipping fees.I'll also suggest as far as a cheap but abit better pinpointer is the Centech sold by Harbour Freight think there @ $16 or $17 plus shipping.Rich

·
Registered
263 Posts
richbat said:
Longie.Here's a couple of ideas that may help you out.I'll also suggest as far as a cheap but abit better pinpointer is the Centech sold by Harbour Freight think there @ $16 or $17 plus shipping.Rich
I think your post may have been directed to someone else……but no matter.

I don’t know if you’ve ever used one, but I will give my personal review of the Harbor Freight Centech. In my opinion they’re junk. Being the cheapo that I am, I thought, hey, why spend $120 for a pinpointer when I can get one for $16. So, I bought one and while it worked great in the house, every time I would take it out, it wouldn’t work. It would always give a constant solid signal whenever pushing the button.

I was thinking of returning it as a defect, but through research I discovered that it is a very common problem when using them as pinpointers. It appears they do not like heat! If the temperature is around 80 degrees or above, they won’t perform. Even on the box they are simply listed as stud/nail finders.

Again, this is only my opinion, but I would suggest putting that $16 towards an actual pinpointer.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
X2 on the centech issues. I have 2 of them and both experienced the same issues once summer arrived. there is a "fix" supposedly out there, but i bought the propointer and have never thought about the centechs again until this point.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I never used a pin pointer, I never needed one. Until about 2 years ago I found a really nice deal on a used Garrett Pro Pointer. I now take it with me everytime I detect. I still don't use it often but when I do it's great. I think they are kinda expensive new but they can really cut down on your digging time. I would recommend one to anyone that can get one, even a used one.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Ok I know you get what you pay for...I am fan of high quality; makes ya happy and it works as advertised. With that said, I just spent my last $65 on insulation
and thought about going to Harbor Freight and chekcing out their cheapo 9 Function metal Detector.... that way, if I dont get into it I am not out a few hundred (or thous) and if I do get into it...Ill need an upgrade and this is good kid unit. Any thoughts? Most of the stuff at HF is junk I know... the reviews on the HF site seem ok.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
ouch....took yer last $65
sorry 'bout that.

No experience at all with that detector, but I have owned their pin pointer.....while functional for a little while, it quickly failed.........as did the second one........
In theory, the detector should work, but discrimination will be the thing it lacks. In other words, if you have a coin in 100% ideal conditions, it should find it, but you may dig 1000 pieces of trash to find that one coin. If the coin is sitting next to or with junk/mineralization, the machine will never see it.
Like I told u, if you want to get together, you can use my White's while we hunt and i"ll give you a tutorial right there on the spot

1 - 20 of 26 Posts