The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a barrel that has been out to the range once and now has a muzzle break seized up. I was hoping to use the thread saver for hunting season, now I don't have that option. What are my options?

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Take it to your local gun dealer and he will take it off in 5 minutes and charge you a minimal fee.If you do it yourself with heat or liquid wrench you could damage it...

·
Registered
889 Posts
You could try freezing the barrel in your chest freezer. Then after it is good and frozen(day or so) take it out and apply an immediate heat source. I do not mean a heat torch, just what ever you have that will heat it up fast. And apply constant pressure while it is heating. You might want to take the scope and stock off the rifle. Just be careful not to get it too hot. If that doesn't work then take it to a professional. Tom.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
take it to the gunsmith. In addition to getting it removed, he might be able to tell you why is stuck in the first place.

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
WD40 or PB Blaster some time and see what happens.

If no joy then see what a pro can do.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got a call back from one of my local shops and they were un able to get it off. Hmmm this is not good. I wonder if I could have it cut off and what the down sides of that would be.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
sch Co said:
Hmmm this is not good. I wonder if I could have it cut off and what the down sides of that would be.
Nothing more than some barrel length equal to the brake threads. Its a easy job, cut and re-crown.

Bill

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Essentially you'll be putting on another muzzle brake on a 1/2-3/4" shorter barrel. Probably put on cross threaded so the brake threads are probably messed up too.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Was it a stainless brake on a stainless barrel? If that's the case the threads might have galled and cold welded themselves.If that was the case I'd probably use some type of anti-seize compound on it in the future.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Tough to understand why a good 'smith couldn't get it off???
did he say why?

If you turned it on, then you should be able to turn it off. The thread on choke tubes and braakes do get stuck but never saw one tha didn't come off with a steel rod into the brake holes and a hard hit with a 2 foot hunk of 2x4.

You must oil the threads and certainly anti-sieze grease (sometimes called brake grease) will work..if you get it off.
some delicate work with a dremel cutter bit down almost to the threads and then use a nut-cracker to break the threaded nut/furrele part of the brake will work to relieve the threads. Chase out the threads and get a new brake.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Harrysigafoo said:
Tough to understand why a good 'smith couldn't get it off???
did he say why?

If you turned it on, then you should be able to turn it off. The thread on choke tubes and braakes do get stuck but never saw one tha didn't come off with a steel rod into the brake holes and a hard hit with a 2 foot hunk of 2x4.

You must oil the threads and certainly anti-sieze grease (sometimes called brake grease) will work..if you get it off.
some delicate work with a dremel cutter bit down almost to the threads and then use a nut-cracker to break the threaded nut/furrele part of the brake will work to relieve the threads. Chase out the threads and get a new brake.
Far easier to cut it off at the mate point, re-thread and replace the crown and brake. Impact to POI will be negligible and this work will take less time and be less stressful.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Cant see the reason to take off.... Leave it on!!!! Most guns shoot different when you take the brake off..If you have it sited in with the brake on,and then take it off for hunting, point of inpact USUALLY changes?????? Harmonics, shorter barrel length = less velosity... Most GOOD gunsmiths should be able to get off,, Most gunshop smiths are limited to the work they can do,,mostly mount scopes, ect.. Remove barrel from stock, ,Freeze the barrel, put brake end in a barrel vise,,wrap a cold wet towel around barrel, heat the brake with a electric heat gun.. Bingo.. if done properly..

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
is this on a savage by chance?

·
Registered
187 Posts
It may have been installed with Rocksett. Try soaking the end of the barrel and brake in water for a few hours and then give it another go.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts