The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have been shooting recurves for almost 2 years now and I just could not get to a level that was not an embarrasment. I tried webpages, as many different postures and methods as I could come up with in my head and then even books. Nothing worked until I read Byron Fergusons "Become the Arrow" and it was like a key had turned a lock. It worked for me relative to accuracy and confidence. When he described the "split vision" approach it made sense to me and when I applied it, it worked. I am seriously considering taking my bow rather than flinter during the Primative Season after Christmas.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I'm glad I found this thread--I was wanting to respond to your comment in the bow I had for sale.

For those not seeing the add it was for a Bear Kodiak Magnum, 45# pull. jimsdad said he wished it had 10# more pull--which I understand--but it also made me think about the progression I and the industry have gone through over the years--and the net result.

I started with a long bow which I believe was on the order of 48#. Then the 45# recurve, then a compound (to be listed soon) of I think 65# and now a crossbow at 150# plus.

...and now as I look back at all that---they all made deer just as dead---and by far the most comfortable and enjoyable to shot was the long bow--no sights--only fingers for release--no frills---and soooo much fun

·
Registered
12,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Roger that. The reason I was hoping for a few more pounds of pull is to kind of round out the bows I have now relative to pull weight. I have a BowTech TomKat and I love that bow. But, and this is not a slam on compound shooters, when I have time to shoot I almost always grab the Bear Montana and head to the range. Frankly, I find that if I shoot a dozen arrows with the compound - the session is over and it hits where I aim. The longbow is much more of a challenge and I get a big kick out of shooting it. That's just me and I hope I haven't offended anyone.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I'm glad you have found the joy in shooting a long bow

I was looking longingly at them at Cabelas this fall

Unfortunately mine broke
I was unaware of a finger joint in the middle--as it was covered with leather. I had bought that bow by mail order--from Sears and Roebuck when I was very young. Over the years the adhesive (likely animal based glue) crystallized and one day about 15 years ago at full draw it left go

The lower limb rotated down and struck the ground; the upper limb rotated around the string end and struck me square on top of the head--putting me to my knees

It really hurt me to admit it wasn't safe to remake that joint and I had to toss that old friend

1 - 5 of 5 Posts