The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Cool temperatures and a light wind with a new moon who could ask for more. Other than the wind not being switchy. Tough going last night the wind was blowing my scent just about everywhere. I feel lucky to just get the five that I did. I think the wind was perfect for no more than an hour. The reds are primed up nice now. Go get em! Two of the fox were not very photogenic so they are missing (fur that is). Good luck they were moving very well last night. Did anyone else notice how well they responded?

Kirk McKendree

·
Registered
758 Posts
kirk with the 1mph wind we had at least in our area, I figured it would be a great night! nice reds, I know the weather wont be best but I'm going tonight, couldnt make it out last night but would hae loved to!
Nice fur for sure good night!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
justshoot,

Not really sure how many hours but, I made 13 sets. Called in 14 reds only got 5 which is way below what I normally do when that many are called into my set. Its always fun and just being out there is awesome but, to call that many in only to shoot five is not good by what I normally can achieve in the field. Very light switchy wind. I struggled to work the terrain to my favor due to this. Who knows maybe I will rest up and hit them again. I haven't checked the weather but, I think a storm front was supposed to be moving thru soon. Its funny because it was a great night but, actually was my worst of the season considering how low my success was. This is a wind game and I had no choice but, to force this one. No biggie it was fun challenging myself to succeed even when the conditions normally end up in failure. Good luck if you all get out tonight. My gear is charging lol.

Kirk McKendree

·
Registered
760 Posts
Do you hunt the same areas all the time? You must have hundreds of places to hunt... Good places! I am so jealous lol

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hunt all over. I actually was going to finish the morning up on some of my favotite SGL but, I lost critical time during the recovery process. It was very hard to recover most of what I shot due to the distance they were taken at. The fox really worked the wind and stayed out there on me. Very hinky and didn't want to offer to many shot possibilities. It was a very unique hunt and out of the ordinary for me. I did manage one hard charger at approximately 8 yards. Everything else was a poke.

Chris,

I am a circuit hunter. I target an area of the state along with the most efficient means then I hit it. Last night I had to travel quite far. Its always a good time. Last hunt I got 11 reds on the same circuit. PA as well as any state or Providence has great habitat for one species or another. Certain regions are more blessed than others. I am a target hunt. I say this often but, its very true. I usually ask myself what i am in the mood for to hunt and then I target a region and modify my tactics for the hunt. Sure you will get the occasional surprise but, I have quite a good percentage for predicting called in predators. I called in only red fox, five cats, two skunks and three owls. Sure a grey fox or a coyote could have surprised me but, its would be more rare for that circuit. I travelled to far for this hunt or quite honestly I would not have even blown the call once. Almost all my stands were forced which goes against my hunting practices. Giving them a huge wind advantage like I did is not smart but, I gambled due to the distance that was involved otherwise I would have picked a better day to fight. Patience kills many more predators for me than forcing sets. Good luck if you get out.

Kirk McKendree

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Squirt/Matt,

No problem. I must admit that I do get lazy in the photo department since it usually slows me down while hunting but, I try to post a few when I have time for those who like them. Setting a tripod up with a camera set on a timer is a pain lol. Video has me much more interested since I learned how to take a snapshot straight from video. You can really pick out the shot when using the program. This here is cool. Check out this hard charging coyote coming straight down the barrel to rabbit in distres back in October. I love this program. Good luck to you.

Kirk McKendree

G

·
0 Posts
Kirk,

What counties did your circuit include for this hunt? What FoxPro sounds are your favorite as a field staff member? Do you use their hand our electronic calls last night? What do you do with the fox you kill?

Thanks

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Seeking,

I hunt all over PA. This circuit is a four county circuit that takes two nights to complete. I only had time for one night so I fell way short and only hunted in two counties. I lost alot of time finding them after having to take long shots at night. I don't advertise my presence in any location for obvious reasons. One of my favorite all around sounds is lucky bird but, it was not used on this hunt at all. My favorite sounds are tailored to the species targeted. I don't spell out exactly what works for me due to it being counterproductive. My goal is to stay unique and to be different from everyone who calls the same areas as me. Thats why I don't disclose my exact sounds or type of handcalling. Serves me no purpose. If we all sound the same the predators that hear it over and over become conditioned. I use handcalls and electronic depending on what trying to accomplish. On this hunt I used both. My predators are either gifted to those who want them and I have several contacts who want my fur each year. I try to spread it out some so that I can give it to those interested. Not trying to be short but, I work hard to stay ahead of the game and giving away such information not only hurts me but you as well. Here is better information. Be different. You goal should not be to sound like the five other callers who hunt your property. Being unique goes far. It does for me anyways. My favorite hand calls that I use are the Backstabber and two customs. The one is a Dillon Precision product that is not offered for sale currently. Its more of my coyote call. The other custom is a one of a kind not offered for sale. It was made and tuned for me to what I thought would work. Nothing major just calls. I own piles of them and they all will work. The best hand call doesn't always have a particular name. Its the one that you can confidently use. Good luck.

Kirk McKendree

·
Registered
927 Posts
Kirk I do not belive this forum would be half as intresting without your awsome pictures and expert advice... just my 2¢

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Thanks for the compliments. Appreciate the kind words but, remember I am not the end all be all of predator hunting. This site has many great hunters who post great information.

Squirt,

Its nothing that I purchased seperately. Its called Windows Movie Maker. It came with my computer as did Lightscribe. I am not to tech savy so bear with me. Basically, I film something then download it into this program where I can edit, add captions and even take stills (snap shots) from the actual video. When done I use lightscribe to put whatever image or words etc. on the face of the dvd to give it a more professional look. Case in point above is a daytime grey fox that I filmed to show that it can be done since many believe that they can't be called during the day. What I did is took a snap shot from the video and then I can use it where I want. Pretty neat for a guy like me since I am not blessed with great computer skills. Its amazing how technology advances.

Kirk McKendree

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Last one Squirt. This ol boy needs his blankey. Here is a coyote jumping right before he met his demise from a Tactical 20.

Kirk McKendree

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
This last photo look like this old boy is hauling the mail! Great photos. I agree with you keeping some info to yourself, you have paid your dues and that is what we must also do. It is the fun of the hunt!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts