The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone out there seeing any squirrels. I've be out a few time archery scouting and have seen very few compared to the past few years. I thuoght the population me be better to to the easier winter they had last year. Maybe I'm just in the wrong spot...

·
Registered
94 Posts
I thought squirrel season was going to start in September this year but seen that it is going to happen wonder what happened

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
September squirrel, archery hunters had a fit. An area heavy in fisher seems to have low squirrel numbers- I don't know if this is coincidence or the fisher take a lot of them but that is what I have been noticing. I am gonna get a tag this year and at least rid the woods of one of them.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I've been seeing good numbers while scouting..

·
Banned
621 Posts
bigbore58 said:
I thought squirrel season was going to start in September this year but seen that it is going to happen wonder what happened
Yeah that was a thought wasted. New York and Ohio are already hunting squirrels and you can hunt reds year round, but not US. Heck no, there might be a squirrel lactating. Oops I already violated my signature.

SIGNATURE:
Disclaimer: The opinions, ideals, facts, beliefs and any other information in no way ever reflect, support or coincide with the staff, management, moderators and/or owners & paid members of SavageShooters.com Actually, in most cases have found to be in direct conflict and/or violation of aforementioned establishment. I therefore plan to not answer or ask any questions, make any comments or replies, supporting my or any other member or non members political or non political position or imposition. I have been found to be unable to drink the Kool-Aid or to merely exist in the mired status quo. I will try to the best of my ability, although I may not have the capacity to exercise such ability to conform to the mindless drones.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Clinton County said:
September squirrel, archery hunters had a fit. An area heavy in fisher seems to have low squirrel numbers- I don't know if this is coincidence or the fisher take a lot of them but that is what I have been noticing. I am gonna get a tag this year and at least rid the woods of one of them.
That seems to be a likely scenario. The squirrel population dropped like a rock around my general area as the fisher population skyrocketed. There seems to be lots of squirrel in Bedford County though.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
It's a bit early yet to get a handle on squirrel numbers. They're not in that fall feed mode yet.... which always seems to peak during the week before the season opens every year.

Last year was tough as we had a good mast crop and they didn't concentrate. This year the mast is ho hum. Better environment to locate a concentration. I'm very optimistic it will be a good year ....fishers or not. If fishers are supposed to hammer porcupines they sure aren't having much of an affect.

With the squirrels being deemed as under utilized, and an earlier season impossible, I don't see the harm with increasing the bag limit from 6 per day.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Hmmmmm... this is a "come to think of it" thread for me. Come to think of it, I am not seeing nearly the amount of Squirrel I normally see this time of year. Truthfully, almost none, and I live in the woods. Not sure what that means, just sayin.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts