The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know mostly everyone broadcasts their seed. I'm looking at other options. Seeds can range from brassica to oats and rye.

I'm seriously looking into the landpride APS series. I'm figuring on the 7 ft model since that will give me sufficient tire coverage on my Kubota L4701.

I have a 6ft tiller so that would be my primary method of working the ground.

Does anyone have recommendations on what they use? I could be looking to establish 3-10 acres of plots.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess that is the second part of my question. Would a grain drill be ok for planting small clover and brassica seeds? I would also like something that is three point mounted to ease transportation between properties.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
If I had the money, I would love to have a no-till drill. I think Genesis or somebody makes some smaller ones for food plots.

Other than that I can't help you much as I broadcast all of my seed.

·
Registered
993 Posts
you can rent a no till drill from your Co land conservation office for $10/ acre they deliver you need a tractor big enough to pull it .

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
Why. spend the money for that small acreage, get a hand seeder and walk it on broadcast.. then drag a little soil on it and watch it grow.....

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I got a little garden broadcaster, spread the fertilizer first,then the seed. take it off the 4 wheeler and drag a chain hooked to 2 sides of rear rack. small,light and cheap!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
One of the major advantages of a no-till drill (if you are indeed looking at no-till drill) is not having to work the ground...you can just seed right into the existing vegetation, with no need to disc or till - conserving soil moisture (and potentially saving a lot of time and diesel fuel). Some pretty good tractor HP is required to pull a no-till drill through the plot.

If you still plan to work the ground with a tiller, you would be able to use a "regular" grain drill that is much cheaper and requires much less HP to pull. Three point hook up would be fantastic, allowing you to back into the nooks and crannies of food plots and plant your way out.

Good luck in your search, and please keep us posted on what you decide to get and how it works!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm almost certain that I do not have the horsepower to pull a no till. At a minimum I would want something 6' wide to cover the tires of the tractor. I will continue to rototill the ground to mix the lime and fertilizer in.

Thanks for the information. I'm going to start the search for 3pt grain drills.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
You do not have to cover your tires if using a no till drill. Not even if you would have to for a grain drill. Here are the food plot size no till drills that I was talking about. They even have one to pull behind a UTV. Like I said no experience with one or this brand, but I would love to have one.

https://www.rtpoutdoors.com/genesis

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
C - did you ever get pricing on those drills?
I have found a few online like this one that is the 5'. The price is painful. If I was doing many acres per year of food plots though I think it would be worth it. For the little ones that I do, there is no way I could justify the price. Never saw a price for the small one behind the UTV, but I am sure that it is pricey as well.

Genesis Food Plot Drill

If anyone is looking to get me a Christmas gift though, this would be very thoughtful of you. LOL.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
You can say that again. If I was doing 20 acres of food plots per year though it would be a huge time savings. Being that I am usually only doing an acre or so per year, I just can't justify the cost. Plus I already have a plow and disc for my tractor. With the drill you wouldn't need to purchase tillage equipment which would help the cost.

Some county conservation districts like mentioned by someone else, do rent them out. I think they are pretty cheap to rent from what I saw.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts