The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where I hunt has changed significantly over the years. For the longest time I only hunted my family's 17 acres and the bordering farm. I would make an occasional hunt to public land to change things up. Mainly bc of school and work. These days I'm in the mindset of " it doesn't hurt to have an extra acre in your pocket"

Last year I attained permission to hunt a large tract of land although there are also over 100 bowhunters who have permission for that same piece of land. It was still very exciting to hunt and explore this new property.

This year I took to the maps and lined up 5 different farms to look in to. I finally sacked up and started knocking on doors, I'm 2/2 so far and just yesterday scooped up another 250 acres... planning on asking the other 3 next week. I gotta say it's been exhilarating...the feeling after getting the "yea we allow bowhunting here" has been so much fun and exciting! I guess I've been pretty lucky

Questions for everyone:

What do you ask the landowner when attempting to secure new properties?

How Often to you get the desire to find and explore new places to hunt?

Are you content with the areas you hunt now, and if not why?

Do you get anxiety thinking about knocking on doors?

What specific observations do you make on your first hunt on a new property?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is pretty funny about backing over the cat, I hope that doesn't happen to me... Squirrel, sorry to here that, this is only my second year knocking on doors. Either the farmers are happy to have some deer removed and/or they like the sound of "It's only for bow season" . Hope your luck changes soon. Thought I'd give it a shot this year although I'm still yet to scout any of these properties. We"ll see what the season brings

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.