The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I look for new area's to hunt every year and some years I never get the chance to hunt them. I have located a big ten point that I plan on hunting this year. He spends part of his time on public and private. I start by looking at the county GIS map for the landowners in that area. I then copy the map and write all the landowners names on the map. That way when I ask for permission I know the landowners name, which helps when you introduce yourself. I have been knocking on doors for years and I am comfortable talking with landowners, worst they can say is no. I once backed over one of the landowners cats with my truck when leaving and he still let me hunt.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I think a lot of hunters tend to focus on getting permission to hunt the bigger farms. Most big farms already have people hunting them and the farmers are always getting people knocking on their door. If I know a big buck is being seen on a farm, I study maps of land away from the bigger farms. During the rut these bucks will travel and pass through several properties. Look for those small plots that may have a good funnel. I always make it clear to the landowner that I will only be hunting with a bow even in gun season, I believe that greatly increases your chances of getting permission. Always carry copies with your personal info on it and offer it to the landowner. I use a modified Ohio permission form with my Pa. license number on it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.