The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where I hunt has changed significantly over the years. For the longest time I only hunted my family's 17 acres and the bordering farm. I would make an occasional hunt to public land to change things up. Mainly bc of school and work. These days I'm in the mindset of " it doesn't hurt to have an extra acre in your pocket"

Last year I attained permission to hunt a large tract of land although there are also over 100 bowhunters who have permission for that same piece of land. It was still very exciting to hunt and explore this new property.

This year I took to the maps and lined up 5 different farms to look in to. I finally sacked up and started knocking on doors, I'm 2/2 so far and just yesterday scooped up another 250 acres... planning on asking the other 3 next week. I gotta say it's been exhilarating...the feeling after getting the "yea we allow bowhunting here" has been so much fun and exciting! I guess I've been pretty lucky

Questions for everyone:

What do you ask the landowner when attempting to secure new properties?

How Often to you get the desire to find and explore new places to hunt?

Are you content with the areas you hunt now, and if not why?

Do you get anxiety thinking about knocking on doors?

What specific observations do you make on your first hunt on a new property?

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
I look for new area's to hunt every year and some years I never get the chance to hunt them. I have located a big ten point that I plan on hunting this year. He spends part of his time on public and private. I start by looking at the county GIS map for the landowners in that area. I then copy the map and write all the landowners names on the map. That way when I ask for permission I know the landowners name, which helps when you introduce yourself. I have been knocking on doors for years and I am comfortable talking with landowners, worst they can say is no. I once backed over one of the landowners cats with my truck when leaving and he still let me hunt.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Pa.Bone said:
I once backed over one of the landowners cats with my truck when leaving and he still let me hunt.
You da man!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I am really bad at getting permission. I don't know why. But we have lived here 14 years and I have not once been able to get access at any local farms. Even the co-op's around told me no. I follow all the "tips" guys say. Just doesn't work for me lol.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is pretty funny about backing over the cat, I hope that doesn't happen to me... Squirrel, sorry to here that, this is only my second year knocking on doors. Either the farmers are happy to have some deer removed and/or they like the sound of "It's only for bow season" . Hope your luck changes soon. Thought I'd give it a shot this year although I'm still yet to scout any of these properties. We"ll see what the season brings

·
Registered
976 Posts
I got good friend named Ben that helps me get permission to hunt. I take a couple pictures of him when I go to ask permission, I tell the landowner I will introduce him to Ben, show them the pictures of Ben and they always let me hunt.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
I think a lot of hunters tend to focus on getting permission to hunt the bigger farms. Most big farms already have people hunting them and the farmers are always getting people knocking on their door. If I know a big buck is being seen on a farm, I study maps of land away from the bigger farms. During the rut these bucks will travel and pass through several properties. Look for those small plots that may have a good funnel. I always make it clear to the landowner that I will only be hunting with a bow even in gun season, I believe that greatly increases your chances of getting permission. Always carry copies with your personal info on it and offer it to the landowner. I use a modified Ohio permission form with my Pa. license number on it.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
There are not many large farms around here. Well not what I consider large after hunting Ohio. I also only ask to bowhunt and that has been an issue once or twice actually. Two told me bowhunters only wound deer and to leave. I also try to ask early in the year, not right before the season. I think there are a lot of hunters around. Because the common reason is either they only allow their family to hunt or they have too many guys hunting it already. I would branch out but I was just trying to find a place close to home. I have plenty of public land spots but none close.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Squirrel said:
I am really bad at getting permission. I don't know why. But we have lived here 14 years and I have not once been able to get access at any local farms. Even the co-op's around told me no. I follow all the "tips" guys say. Just doesn't work for me lol.
I have the same problem here in Berks. I am not a "people person" and do not like asking figuring that is why their property is POSTED. I've lived here for 30+ yrs and have only got permission on a few properties that people I knew lived on before(nobody I know has property anymore). In August a few yrs ago I stopped at an old deer damage farm trying to get permission for the 300 plus geese that were in his fields.... NO. 20 yrs back people asked you to kill the geese !!! I dress in street clothes and try early before the seasons. Being as polite as I can only stopping if I see the landowner mucking around the barn or after supper I don't want to take up much of his time. I don't think I look shady LOL.

Back in the day I was content with the crowds - Rifle was a 1st day and maybe the 1st Saturday as guys came back from camp other than those 2 days most deer were off the properties. Archery(less crowed back then)you had oppertunitities .... but with crossbows, in-line - Jr.+Sr. rifle and herd reduction I'm now lucky to see a deer on public lands in my area(during shooting hrs). Yes I have moved out of my favorite areas into a larger area to the N. but it is still within short(2hrs) driving distance to 1/3 of Pa's population.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.