The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I developed a very serious case of paranoia early on in my trapping career. I go to great lengths to not even be seen. When I am seen, I almost feel like, " Ok, you saw my face now I have to dispose of you" . I did have a coon trap stolen last weekend. That was literally the first trap in at least 15 years I've had stolen. I still don't know how they even knew it was there. As a kid, I had probably 3 dozen or so stolen. Looking back, most of them were the result of me doing something stupid, like being seen. I try to set in places that are hidden behind brush or a little hill, etc . I avoid high traffic areas like unposted farms with neighbors that walk dogs there. I will NEVER do a road line of trapping culverts. It's just not worth the agravation to me. I never have traps out in gun season. There are too many pumpkins walking around that can't keep their hands off other peoples stuff. Just try to be invisible and most of the problems will go away.

·
Registered
207 Posts
rabbitslayer said:
I developed a very serious case of paranoia early on in my trapping career. I go to great lengths to not even be seen. When I am seen, I almost feel like, " Ok, you saw my face now I have to dispose of you" . I did have a coon trap stolen last weekend. That was literally the first trap in at least 15 years I've had stolen. I still don't know how they even knew it was there. As a kid, I had probably 3 dozen or so stolen. Looking back, most of them were the result of me doing something stupid, like being seen. I try to set in places that are hidden behind brush or a little hill, etc . I avoid high traffic areas like unposted farms with neighbors that walk dogs there. I will NEVER do a road line of trapping culverts. It's just not worth the agravation to me. I never have traps out in gun season. There are too many pumpkins walking around that can't keep their hands off other peoples stuff. Just try to be invisible and most of the problems will go away.
Thats a great tactic for sucess.

·
Registered
679 Posts
chain stakes and weld your j-hooks shut (both good ideas anyway.).. I've had people try to steal em. Never lost one.. My traps aren't going anywhere without the lever or bolt cutters. Most people aren't gonna go through that....

·
Registered
92 Posts
You can slither around and hide, I've done it. Most times vehicles and tracks might give you away in the long run. I use a camera when I see anyone, its still legal to take pictures. Most thieves arent into the picture thing.
Private land with permission works also. You dont even need a camera that works. But it helps.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
With some 58 years on the trapline I learned a long time ago some of my traps are going to get lifted no matter what I do, so frankly I don't worry about it. I know a percentage of my traps are going to be taken by thieves.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I don't worry about it...nor do I shy away from places that are for sure to be a theft area..

·
Registered
399 Posts
Mink is right. A few weeks ago I had two monty 1.5's ripped off at a real hot fox farm. After waiting a day, then reset with two more traps,caught two more fox. Three days later, both traps gone, cables in ground. Amish guy saw a GMC truck drive in his long lane both times my traps were lifted. The second time, the amish farmer ran out with a flashlight while the truck was exiting the lane, the driver would not stop, the side mirroe clipped the amish guy on the shoulder. "Gray haired guy with ballcap" was the description he gave me. I reset the same location with two cables on each trap and caught four more fox. The thief was almost nabbed so I doubt he'll be back. He ended uo with 4 good traps with my name tags. I gave the CO a call and reported the incident. Too bad we did not get a tag #. The thief had alot of balls driving in a one way lane approx 500 yards. I'm guessing he spotted me setting traps or saw my foxes at night while spotlighting....all "operating costs" of chester county fox trapping.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
panaxman says-
<span style="color: #660000"><span style="font-weight: bold"> I gave the CO a call and reported the incident.</span></span>
Stolen property (traps) should be reported to State Police or Township Police.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I haven't trapped in years but I had lost my share of them to thieves even back 30 years ago. There are always going to be thieves, thugs, and cheats no matter where or what your doing. The key is to just avoid them as best you can.

I lost some traps in areas that one would never expect someone else to be but it still happened. It's a shame but that's they way things are. I wish I could offer some tips and I understand the feeling.

·
Registered
749 Posts
spend 200 bucks on a black flash game camera to take pics of the people stealing your stuff,but heres the best part....after i bought the cam no more need for it because i havent had anything stolen since i bought the camera...lol

·
Registered
295 Posts
good luck i had someone try and pull one out with there atv all they did was pulled the jaws off. camera tried that now im short a camera to.if ur trapping public land it comes with it and theft of ur catch will to. in short dont get to attached to ur stuff on public land cause it might end up someone else stuff b4 to long.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts