The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a bag of the Whitetail Institute Secret Spot seed yesterday to try out. Have any of you guys used this product before and if so how did it turn out?

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
I used it last year, but the reults were bad. HOWEVER, I am pretty sure it was because of lack of rain though and I was planting it at 1850 ft, it dried fast, turkeys were dusting in the plot for heavens sake....can't expect anything to grow under those conditions.

No rain does not appear to be a problem this year, O I wish you the best on it.

This year I planted a mix that "pheasants" on here gave me in the same plot, winter wheat and brassiscas....it look fantastic for mid August running about 5" high now and a lush green carpet.

I think rain is the key...one thing on that mix, it will bring back ryegrass clumps the next year, so unless you plan on planting the same thing in 2010, you are going to want to spray to kill it. I got two plots now that have ryegrass populations from prior no till mixes....not a bad thing in the dead of winter when they get to digging, but a heads up.

·
Registered
561 Posts
For what you pay for Secret Spot just go to the local feed store and buy a bag of rye. I found Secret Spot is mostly rye with a little clover mixed in.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
No, my only experience is with the Acorn Rage. That really works like crazy. Let us know how you make out with yours.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I planted secret spot last year and the deer didn't touch it. It sprouted pretty quick and then took a good month to reach about 6 inches. All it looked like was plain ole gras. A few clovers grew at first but were soon overpowered by the grass. We didn't see one single track in the whole plot. This year it came back up and is around 4 feet tall already with still nothing touching it. In my opinion I wouldn't use the stuff again if it was given to me.

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
That is what mine did...looked like a bad lawn..LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts