The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
I'll bet this is gonna fire a bunch of people up, but here goes: after talking to a wildlife biologist (not from PA, but close) he dispurged a myth about the rut. The rut actually starts ( for a buck) when his antlers get hard and the velvet is off, and lasts until that buck loses his antlers. Does come into estrus once a month, so as long as there are does not bred in any given month, a buck will still chase them and attempt to mate, up until his antlers drop.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
gentleben said:
I'll bet this is gonna fire a bunch of people up, but here goes: after talking to a wildlife biologist (not from PA, but close) he dispurged a myth about the rut. The rut actually starts ( for a buck) when his antlers get hard and the velvet is off, and lasts until that buck loses his antlers. Does come into estrus once a month, so as long as there are does not bred in any given month, a buck will still chase them and attempt to mate, up until his antlers drop.
100% correct

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
3B Bradford county on Monday the last day of archery season my buddy passed a good 8 pt that he videoed on his phone. First day of rifle my son shot that deer about 300 yds from where it was videoed 2 weeks earlier. He had one tine broke off and was fully rutted up and stunk bad, he had absolutely no neck.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Or an ugly one!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts