The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4,340 Posts
The researchers at Penn State smart guy. The 60 lb number would be the average weight the doe would reach meaning she has enough body mass to sustain more than just her own life. It's basic biology.

Reactions: JJ4D

· Registered
4,340 Posts
Amen to all of this, my experience is you will find the second rut when you find a hot doe after Thanksgiving Day. If is 28 days after Halloween it is second rut to me. It is not written in stone by any means, it is much less predictable, and it gets buck killed for the same reason.

· Registered
4,340 Posts
In college I had a view from my apartment of a hundred plus acre field of thorns, goldenrod, and brush, upland game habitat. Jan. 18th 1994 room mate and I watched 6 buck fighting over a doe, we watched from like 3:30pm till light ran out, craziest and latest rut activity I ever saw. 2 of those buck were 140ish caliber.

· Registered
4,340 Posts
The SRA in your name suggests you have a lot of doe where you hunt...you think the majority are bred at this point or not? Saying they are not, means the science that PA deer management is based on is wrong. I would say they are mostly bred here, from 27 years of watching it on this property, the does are not hiding from the buck here, they are mostly bred. Stragglers aside, the peak is behind us.

· Registered
4,340 Posts
The last Friday evening of rifle I watched buck dogging a doe at last light. I told my wife they would go past her Saturday morning. She texted me after first light and said a doe got pushed by her by 3 smaller buck. I just chuckled, the next text she said the heavy 8 went by. It happens every year, sometimes past your tree, sometimes past the other guys tree.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts