The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5,606 Posts
It definitely happens, but on a micro scale from the first rut. Does will hit a second estrus 24-30 days after their first cycle and fawns may or may not ever go into estrus depending on their body size/condition heading into the winter. I don't believe fawns are necessarily held any kind of timing. They can hit an estrous cycle anytime from Early October on.....they don't need to a synchronize with the other does. In other words, their bodies don't have to wait 28 days to wait for a second cycle if they never were in estrous before.
I've seen bucks in rifle season walking around like zombies with their nose to the ground.

· Registered
5,606 Posts
Whether myth or not, the second rut is a moot point in PA anyway, no legal deer hunting in most of PA at the 28 day mark.
That guy in the video is just flat out wrong, it's factual that does will cycle again.....call it what you will.
The first week of November is the first big wave of does coming into heat, 28 days later (on average) will have does cycling back into heat during the first week of December.......or right in the middle of rifle season. I don't know why it would be a moot point.

· Registered
5,606 Posts
For sure the "continuation of the rut" and the "second rut" most likely blend together, but any doe that enters a second estrous cycle for the year would fall into the "second rut" category I would assume.
I've never read any studies to verify what percentage of Pa does cycle multiple times, or honestly if it happens at all. One would have to assume that like all mammals, they do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts