The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are all your experiences on the late rut? In my experience I have seen good rut activity trickle into the entire first week of rifle. Then come January it seems to pick back up a good bit too. Just curious as to what others have seen in the past.

A few years back in January I had a decent half rack buck running back an forth on our logging road right above a food plot checking every single doe as it entered the plot. Seen over 20 doe that night and he scent checked every single one.

·
Registered
LET'S GO BRANDON
3,628 Posts
Whenever your peak rut was in your area, add 28 days and that will be the peak of the 2nd rut. Yearling doe will come into estrous at this time and any doe that wasn't bread the first time will come back into estrous. Technically, the rut doesn't stop. It's still happening right now!!!!

The peak in my woods is the 9th through the 13th or so. December 6th through the 11th will be prime time, but add in the previous weeks pressure and daytime rut activity will be hard to find.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
One later archery season there was a 6pt out of his mind chasing every doe that moved.

I was trying for a doe and he ran two different ones right out from under me. Chased them up the hill, down the valley, back up , it was crazy.

In 2014 I shot a basket rack on the gun opener, he was dogging a small doe group pretty hard.

In 2018 I was pushing for others and kicked up a bedded buck and doe. When I got close to the brush patch they were in, it reeked of stanky buck.

You can indeed get some good rut-like action into the gun season and late season, no doubt about it.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I see some sort of rutting activity most years the first week of rifle in Pa. One of my biggest Pa bucks was chasing a doe grunting in 8 inches of snow, temperatures in the low 20's, on the Monday of the first week of rifle.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
It definitely happens, but on a micro scale from the first rut. Does will hit a second estrus 24-30 days after their first cycle and fawns may or may not ever go into estrus depending on their body size/condition heading into the winter. I don't believe fawns are necessarily held any kind of timing. They can hit an estrous cycle anytime from Early October on.....they don't need to a synchronize with the other does. In other words, their bodies don't have to wait 28 days to wait for a second cycle if they never were in estrous before.
I've seen bucks in rifle season walking around like zombies with their nose to the ground.

·
Registered
LET'S GO BRANDON
3,628 Posts
It definitely happens, but on a micro scale from the first rut. Does will hit a second estrus 24-30 days after their first cycle and fawns may or may not ever go into estrus depending on their body size/condition heading into the winter. I don't believe fawns are necessarily held any kind of timing. They can hit an estrous cycle anytime from Early October on.....they don't need to a synchronize with the other does. In other words, their bodies don't have to wait 28 days to wait for a second cycle if they never were in estrous before.
I've seen bucks in rifle season walking around like zombies with their nose to the ground.
I think for the yearling doe is has to do with bodyweight. I can't remember exactly what the weight was, but there was a direct correlation between weight and yearling doe going into estrous. That's from a PSU study.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
The researchers at Penn State smart guy. The 60 lb number would be the average weight the doe would reach meaning she has enough body mass to sustain more than just her own life. It's basic biology.

Reactions: JJ4D

·
Registered
17,777 Posts
My experience it is very sporadic. If you happen to be around when a doe comes in late, it can be pure madness. But generally speaking, if one heads to the woods to see significant "second rut" action, they will usually be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
2nd rut is a myth. But if it gets you in the woods, go for it!

Go to 4:17 and he will explain it.
100% not a myth. It goes in waves. 2nd rut is another smaller peak or more amplified rut time which us hunters call the 2nd rut. It never stopped, we all understand this.

However, notice the guy in the video (who clearly doesn't have a clue what he is talking about) keeps saying "In my opinion". Zero facts or data to back it up unlike studies PSU has done or what us hunters have experienced in the woods. Just another hunting celeb talking BS for views.

I would also add any captive research is irrelevant at best when comparing to a wild herd in regards to any type of breeding.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Alt said years ago when his deer research was a couple years or so since starting that they hadnt yet put an age to 1st year doe coming into heat, but they noticed that 88 pounds body weight was a consistent AVERAGE body weight for it to happen.....AT THAT STAGE OF THEIR RESEARCH.. which was fairly new then. I dont know that ive heard or read of anything supporting or disputing that since. Perhaps it still holds, perhaps not since MUCH more detailed research has happened since. Getting the buck:doe ratios as close to 1:1 as possible keeps more doe bred earlier, more fawn drops at the same time, more fawns survive the early stages of life and more doe fawn are bred earlier the following year to keep the process more efficient.

In reality, most of our herd ratios are horribly outta whack, and the rut almoat never truly is over......theres just a notable peak. Ive seen long term studies mention that theyve noted breeding in all months of the yr but may iirc.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Buck:doe ratio seems to really off in 2G now. Been getting worse every year for past 5 or 6 years. Probably seeing 10 does for every buck on trail cams, hunting, and spotting.

Whether myth or not, the second rut is a moot point in PA anyway, no legal deer hunting in most of PA at the 28 day mark.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts