The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught a nice male red today,that showed a fair amount of rubbing on it's back.I believe i'll pull traps soon and leave some seed for next year.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Rubbing on its back? Or do you mean on it's shoulders? I caught a red fox in late november this season that already had a rubbed back and about 1/4 of the guard hairs on the rump were missing, exposing the grey undercoat. That didn't have anything to do with the normal rubbing on the shoulders that we see as the season progresses.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This one was just showing signs of rubbing on it's back.I'm not saying that all the fox are rubbed.Looking back at last year records,the first signs of rubbing was around jan 25th.But the fox are really running in pairs now. so breeding can't be far away.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Caught one with light shoulders today. Some are still plenty good. Gonna give it another 2 weeks and release any badly rubbed reds. Greys are looking great, every one. Coon are as prime as they will get rite now.

·
Registered
192 Posts
you can really dent your fox population this time of year,alot of pairs out there right now.don't forget to leave seed for next season

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Caught a single and double on reds today.I left a female go and kept two males. There were no sighs of rubbing on them. I'm pulling next week, also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts